50 Action Express....now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SameShot

Hey folks,
I lost my mind and bought a LAR Grizzly 50AE in "Chrome".
I bought the thing after reading the "bears" thread and having it jump up in front of me at a pawn shop.
Problem is...I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS GUN. :)
Here's my questions:
1. Is this thing any good?
2. Is this thing chrome, or stainless or what?
3. Does it kick? (I have a 44 mag wheel now)
4. Will it take a bear?
5. Where the heck to I find reloading supplies for it?
6. Any good pet loads you care to share?
7. Any secret do's or don'ts?
8. Anyone have specs on the 50AE?
9. Anyone have a manual?

As you can see, I'm lost. I have lots of hangun experience, but this is without question the biggest, most expensive beast I've ever owned. Any advice, experience, or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :)

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

Phil Degraves

I have not shot the Grizzly so cannot speak for it. I have shot the 50AE from a Desert Eagle. It is an artillery piece. The 50 is a nasty round. If you don't flinch now, wait til you shoot it! Actually, it is a lot of fun to shoot a couple of times, but it runs about a buck a shot. Muzzle flash is tremendous. Haven't seen any reloading data on it. I think the factory load is a 300 grn bullet (might be a 305) at about 1400fps. The 44 mag is a sweetheart in comparison. It should take a black bear without a problem and it might even discourage larger bears.

Gunslinger

I haven't shot one either but I think it's chrome and not stainless. If you take a heavy file and....................... ;)

I built two .50's on Ruger Vaqueros, both in 3 1/2" for two different customers (AK & CN) when I was still building custom Rugers. As Phil said a .44 is rather tame by comparison. After firing the first one I felt it was managable and not too unpleasant to shoot. I, of course, attributed this to my large size and over all "manlyness". (Tim Allen gutural grunt here. OH, OH, OH) Then a friend of mine, woman, 115 pounds soaking wet fired it. After 25 rounds (they are five shot in the Ruger.) I had to take it away from her because I didn't want to pay for any more ammo. So much for testosterone. :D :D :D

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited June 26, 1999).]

richardb

A range I frequent lets you rent the Desert Eagle, and I love to shoot it. The blast is tremendous, but the felt recoil is no worse than my USP 45 because of the gas operation. I'd imagine that a revolver would have more kick to it.

The only bad part is the ammo: it runs anywhere from $.75 (Speer Gold Dot) to $1.50 per bullet (IMI).

I have found only one company with reloading data for it: Accurate Powder. They have their reloading info online.

If you own a .50AE, then reloading is the way to go. It is one of the few loads where your return on investment is immediate and substantial.

Here's a comparison that I made for 1000 rounds of .50AE (which for me is a year's supply at 20 rounds per week):

1000 rounds of Sampson .50AE at $23 per 20 rounds costs: $23 * ( 1000/20 ) = $1150.

Loading it yourself costs:
Brass: Speer $299.80
Bullet: Speer 325g JHP $200.00
Powder: Accurate No.9 $68.00 (3.4 lbs. est. based on a 23.8g load @ $20/lb.)
Primers: CCI Large Pistol Mag Primers #350 $20.00
Total: $587.80

According to Accurate, this loads propells that chunk of lead at 1247 fps.

Still horribly expensive, but what a savings over the factory stuff.

Rich
http://www.accuratepowder.com / http://www.huntingtons.com /

SameShot

Thanks guys.

Richard, I wonder how many times you could reload that brass? Knocking $300 of the cost on the second loading would really bring the cost down.
Does the AE beat the heck out of the brass, or does it look reloadable 2, 3, 10 times?

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

SameShot

Gunslinger, by the way....
Do you think it's a good idea to let a girl fire a 50AE when she's soaking wet? :) :) :)

(couldn't resist)

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

Gunslinger

Cute Sameshot, *real* cute!!!!!!!!!

You got me on that one. I about fell outa my chair. :D :D :D :D :D :D

On the other hand with the amount of muzzle flash (HUGE FIREBALL) that thing put out of that little 3.5" bbl. soaking wet might be the only realy safe way to shot it. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

thaddeus

I was at the range the other day and someone was shooting a 50 Desert Eagle. He was a medium sized man, and he took a step back with every shot. Muzzle index was over his head (maybe his form just sukked). The amazing part was, that I was shooting 8 lanes away and with every shot, the ammo box I had on the shelf in front of me visibly shook and would have vibrated right off the shelf had I not caught it.

The Fat Man

Knew a guy who built his own 5-shot .50 on a Bisley frame, then cast his own 500 grain lead wadcutters. Never saw him shoot, but I'm willing to bet he didn't use more than 20 rnds a day.
Personally, I fell in love with the Desert Eagle the first time I went to a gun show -- probably about 1990. Couldn't afford one 'til much later, but the .50 AE is everything I ever thought it would be. It does truly wonderful things to watermelons, but if you want to see something truly awesome, fill a 55-gal drum with water, then shoot it dead center. Don't stand within about 15 yards of the drum, though!!
The LAR, as I recall, uses a gas operating system similar to that of the Desert Eagle. The guy who was taking a step back with each shot was just begging for a jam -- the gas system REQUIRES the shooter to brace the gun well enough to give it something to push against.
I never found the recoil of the .50 to be at all offensive. I've shot some -hot- .44 mags out of a Super RedHawk that felt worse than the IMI .50 factory loads out of the DEP. That gas operating system, while requiring a firmer hand than most pistols, does cut the recoil considerably. My biggest problem with the .50 (besides the price of ammo)is the amount of noise it generates...we're talking about earplugs AND muffs at indoor ranges.
Personally, I think you have an outstanding round now at your disposal. Also, Uncle Mike's shooting gloves don't make you a wuss.

Futo Inu

Now you just need a .440 Corbon barrel for a reeeeeaaaaly flat trajectory, hard-hitting-at-150-yards hunting round.

richardb

(back from vacation)

I have not actually reloaded any yet, because I don't own the gun. I've just been researching it because I love to shoot the one at the range.

Once I do, I'll put some notes in the reloading section.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.