5.56 or 223 die?

308Loader

Thinking about reloading for my ar. The barrel is stamped 5.56. I know I can run 223 through it, but I usually buy 5.56 because that is what it is stamped. I was looking for a 556 full length resizing die at the store and couldn't find one. Seems they have 223 in all the popular brands, some even say 223/556. What gives?

Gadawg88

There are no 5.56 dies specifically. Most are just stamped .223 but some may have both stamped on them as you point out. There is no difference between the two as far as the die is concerned. Outside dimensions are the same. The difference between .223 and 5.56 has more to do with the 5.56 being a higher pressure round on average. I believe the way they measure the pressure between the two is also different contributing to confusion IMO. You can fire .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56, but the other way around is not recommended.

trapper9260

Use the 223 dies and you are good to go.Also do some test rounds to make sure your gun will cycle it all depends on the data you are usen.5.56 is mainly a oversea round but is the same as 223 here in the US.Like was stated about you can shoot one in one but not the other .It is because of high pressure to cycle the gun.some 223 ammo is for bolt and 5.56 is for semi auto.You will have that also for a different in 308 also. 308win/7.62x51mm is the same dies but the load is different for semi auto.But do some test rounds and see how the gun shoots with that one ammo and then go from there.

308Loader

Thanks for the info. went with the rcbs .223 rem/5.56x45 sb t/c die set. Any one have any experience with this set? will it really overwork the brass.

Last edited:

Bart B.

TMD, it's the big differences between die chamber and barrel chamber diameters that over work the brass, not either ones' diameter for bolt guns. If the difference is small, one can reload a case many dozens of times. If large, case life is short.

Most bottleneck cases can be full length sized a couple dozen times if SAAMI spec dimensions and pressures are met except case headspace after resizing is no more than .002" less than after firing.