5.56 NATO and .223 ARs

xrageofangelsx

I am in the process of determining what specific type of AR to purchase and while browsing through different catalogues and reading gun rags, I stumbled across some rifles that say available in .223 or 5.56 NATO. I was under the impression that the two are the same thing. Am I wrong? Please educate me!

LotI

Short and sweet...

Lots of info at AR15 but here's a quick primer on chambers...

The 5.56 chamber will be more versatile because you can shoot all 5.56x45 ammo and 223 Remington.

A 223 Remington should be more accurate when shooting 223 ammunition, but don't tell my 5.56 chamber'd AR15!

A 223 chamber should NEVER be used for a 5.56x45 round since the 5.56 does not adhere to SAAMI specs.

ClarkEMyers

You're wrong - Google is your friend or buy a few books.

You're wrong - Google is your friend or buy a few books. see e.g Clint Mckee from Fulton Armory - someplace to know about if you are interested in AR's.
From his FAQ's. I don't mean this as an endorsement - though I have no issues with that - I mean to say here is one place that directly addresses the question with some specific knowledge and sells books that go into more detail.

What's the difference between 5.56MM and .223 Remington chambers in the AR-15®-type rifle?
--Chance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are talking about .223 Remington SAAMI-spec chambers in an AR15, OH NO!

Do NOT use such a chambering if ........
..... Remember, there's often a large difference between bolt guns and military rifles. This particularly true for the 5.56 vs .223;

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Clint McKee

281 Quad Cam

If your question hasn't been answered by previous posters... Here goes.

The .223 SAAMI spec chamber is tighter, and suited to ONLY .223 commercial ammunition. It is not wise to use military surplus NATO ammo in this gun.

The 5.56 NATO chambered gun, will fire anything either .223 or 5.56. It's chamber is somewhat looser allowing it to chamber and fire both virtually forever.

You may ask why the hell anybody would want a .223 chamber which does not allow them to shoot the cheapest ammo. (mil surp) The tighter tolerances of the .223 chamber allow for greater accuracy. Ofcourse NATO chambers are plenty more accurate than most shooters can ever hope for anyway.

xrageofangelsx

So if my search is composed of trying to find a nice M4 configuration, I should go with the 5.56 since accuracy is already crippled by having such a short configuration to begin with? :D

So many options... such a tight budget. ;)

1BadF350

I've seen som Rock River AR's chambered in .223Wylde. Thanks to the members of this board, I learned that a .223Wylde chamber will fire both .223 and 5.56 reliably.

LotI

Who's wrong?

Yes, get a 5.56x45mm chamber. You can shoot all available military and commercial ammo.

tINY

Rage 'o Angels

The shorter barrel will not be a hinderence to accuracy. But you usually aren't so worried about accuracy in a carbine like that - 2" at 100 yards is fine.

-tINY

xrageofangelsx

What's .223 Wylde? I am completely unfamiliar with that caliber. Had I known researching an AR would be this difficult I would have purchased that AK-74 I had seen. :p

Dave R

.223 Wylde is just a different way to cut a .223/5.56 chamber. It still shoots the same ammo. It just alows safe shooting of BOTH 5.56 Mil-spec ammo and commercial .223 ammo. Just slightly different tolerances in the chamber.