5.56 bolt rifle

CarJunkieLS1

Mossberg MVP would allow you to use detachable magazines if thats something you'd desire. Otherwise for a budget rifle thats accurate I'd look at Savage or Ruger.

jmr40

Ruger American Ranch rifle is stamped 5.56. Great rifle. The Predator and standard rifle are stamped 223. As far as I'm concerned the 2 rounds are interchangeable, especially in bolt guns. I have a 223 stamped Compact, my brother the 5.56 stamped Ranch rifle. I've fired more 5.56 ammo through mine than 223. Both are tack drivers BTW.

rebs

I am thinking that with a 5.56 rifle shooting 223 that there is a safety net if you get near max 223 loads, right ?

mete

There is a chamber dimension that accepts both though I can't remember the name :confused:
Check the makers to find the answer !

SaxonPig

Been asked a couple times recently. They are all good. I like having a rifle scaled to the smaller cartridge.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

roashooter

CZ 527 is rated for both 5.56 & .233...as per CZ .......

Our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. So our .223s will shoot everything from the cheapest Russian steel to match .223 brass ammo.

Mobuck

"I am thinking that with a 5.56 rifle shooting 223 that there is a safety net if you get near max 223 loads, right ?"

I would not count on that as a "safety net".

rebs

I mean to say that a max load of 223 going by the reloading manuals should be safe in a 5.56 rifle. Right ?

MarkCO

Where you get in trouble with .223 Rems is when you run full pop 5.56 Nato rounds. Very few load manuals list actual 5.56 loads.

While I primarily have .223 Wylde chambers, I do have a bolt gun with a .223Rem and one with a 5.56 Chamber. In those two, the .223Rem chamber is a lot more accurate than the 5.56 chamber.

GeauxTide

I've got a 788 and added a Timney to it, making it a one hole shooter. I've had a couple of Mark X builds in 280 and 6.5-06 and they are awesome. The Mini would be the one I'd have.

603Country

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Stainless in 223, and it's everything I could ask for, but it's rather heavy. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go for a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with a 20 inch barrel.

Don Fischer

I had two 788's one in 222 and the other in 223. Couldn't believe how accurate they were. 222 was the most accurate rifle I ever owned. I also had a Sako 451 it 223. nice rifle but never shot with the 788's. Thing I would concern myself most with is getting one with that short action.

stolivar

only a couple of bolt guns really made for 5.56

That I know of. the CZ and the ruger american ranch. I have both and love them. I think the new Howa mini is also, but do not quote me on it.

steve

fourbore

I am thinking that with a 5.56 rifle shooting 223 that there is a safety net if you get near max 223 loads, right ?

I think it is safe to say there is a wider safety margin with a gun like the CZ 527 than the AR15. I could be wrong on that. I dont have actual data on how the guns might react to say ... a 100% over pressure. I guess its either the barrel or the reciever/bolt that fail. Or all the gas gets vented and hopefully you dont loose a hand. A hand is better than a head!

Some re-loaders will increase charges until they see pressure signs and then back off. That is supposed to be an easier game to play with a bolt action. I stay away from the max, but; I like to at least test fire a few loads that have a heavier charge than the one I settle on. I think, if you had to choose a gun to screw up, your luck might hold up better with a CZ.

I am a firm believer that the best way to achieve greater velocity is to go to a larger round. In this situation that would be a 22-250.