5.56/.223 Remington

Penn25

I haven't fired an AR (M16) since Vietnam and when I was a range coach in the mid 70s. Recently I figured it was time to buy one and reaquaint myself with the rifle I shot expert with.

I purchased an Anderson 5.56/.223 Remington carbine from Sportsmans Guide. They are selling them right now for $474 and change. Good price and nothing fancy. Have added a 3-9x40 Hammer scope which should be adequate for my shooting.

My question is related to what appears to be a much discussed issue of what ammo is safe to shoot, 5.56 Nato or .223 Remington? I know there is a difference in the leade/throat. Since Anderson has designated it as 5.56/.223 Remington is it equally safe shooting either round. In the old days (lol) you shot what you were given. If it's designated for both is there a compromise the leade of both? Thanks

Paul

Aloha

Targa

Shoot your pick of either 5.56/.223, the rifle is good for it. My only recommendation is to sight the rifle in for what grain and chambering you will shoot the most. For me, I have sighted mine in for 55 grain .223 PMC because I have stocked up on it due to the price.

marine6680

If the barrel is marked 5.56, then you can use either.

Most don't have an issues using 5.56 in a 223 chamber, but the potential for problems do exist, so most play it safe. I seen a test where they fired various load types from a 223 and 556 barrels ad measured the pressures, overall they said it wasn't a huge deal if you had a good rifle.

Wolf Gold 223 is actually 5.56 spec ammo despite the label, so it gets mixed around a bit.

I'm not recommending the practice, just providing the info. For increased safety, no 556 in a barrel marked 223.

Ibmikey

Many companies today do not mark caliber on the lower ---marking " multi" instead, as suggested above one should go by the caliber marking on the barrel. If marked " Wylde" the chamber will accept either .223 or 5.56mm.

Penn25

Rational, good information. I appreciate the time everyone took to answer me. Thanks all

Paul

Aloha

jmr40

In theory 5.56 loaded CAN be loaded to higher pressure than 223. Unless you are shooting hand loads loaded to the max you aren't likely to ever run across 5.56 loaded hot enough to be a problem in a 223 chamber. Most of the real world problems relate to unreliable feeding in semi-autos, and almost all semi's are rated for 5.56 anyway. Certain target models of the Ruger Mini-14 have 223 chambers, but that is the only one I'm aware of.

In theory a 5.56 in a bolt rifle with a 223 chamber could be a little over pressure. But hand loaders push the envelop quite often with many cartridges and I've never known of anyone having a real problem with a bolt rifle in 223 shooting 5.56.

All cartridges are loaded to varying pressure levels depending on the exact load and manufacturer. You are just as likely to run across factory 30-06 ammo loaded too hot to be reliable in certain guns as you are to have problems with 5.56 in a 223 chamber.

Penn25

In theory 5.56 loaded CAN be loaded to higher pressure than 223. Unless you are shooting hand loads loaded to the max you aren't likely to ever run across 5.56 loaded hot enough to be a problem in a 223 chamber. Most of the real world problems relate to unreliable feeding in semi-autos, and almost all semi's are rated for 5.56 anyway. Certain target models of the Ruger Mini-14 have 223 chambers, but that is the only one I'm aware of.

In theory a 5.56 in a bolt rifle with a 223 chamber could be a little over pressure. But hand loaders push the envelop quite often with many cartridges and I've never known of anyone having a real problem with a bolt rifle in 223 shooting 5.56.

All cartridges are loaded to varying pressure levels depending on the exact load and manufacturer. You are just as likely to run across factory 30-06 ammo loaded too hot to be reliable in certain guns as you are to have problems with 5.56 in a 223 chamber.
Thanks
I did read that 5.56 brass is thicker to handle hotter loads. The .223 is something developed for civilian use and as such tended to be not as hot. I believe it is less able to handle because of thinner brass. It is a concern because of the discussions I read with the differences in leade dimensions between the two. What I read was gloom and doom. Now I see more clearly as to what's going on.

Paul

Aloha

Gunplummer

I have killed deer with Remington .223 soft points with no problem. My rifle is built from surplus parts I had laying around since the early 70's. Feeds and shoots soft point fine. With all the after market junk out there now, who knows?

marine6680

There are some 556 cases with thicker walls and case head, and there are some that are thinner... Same with 223, its a crap shoot and manufacturer dependent on the case thickness.

556 ammo is crimped at the primer, and that is usually the only physical difference in the cases.

Penn25

Thanks, I shouldn't have waited so long after I retired from the military before getting back into ARs. At my age the progression of the weapon has moved beyond what I carried in Vietnam and beyond. Interesting learning the nuances and tech it has become since the old days lol. I appreciate you all being patient in helping me catch up some.

Paul

Aloha