5.45x39 AR owners ?

pilpens

I am thinking of getting a S&W AR in 5.45x39.

1. How bad is the cleaning after shooting?
2. Problems? Corrosion, Keyhole, extract, reliability, etc.
3. Accuracy?
4. Complete S&W or S&W upper + spikes lower with MOE stock? Only diff is shipping cost.

I already have a 5.56 AR and want the 5.45x39 because of cheap ammo.
Another option is an AK74 but leaning heavily towards the AR because it feels better.
Your opinions please.
Thanks

essohbe

Hi pilpens.

I was thinking about doing the same, getting an AR upper in 5.45 then I figured "why?" so I was looking at a Bulgarian AK74. Then I found out a Saiga in 5.45 is only $350, so that's where I am putting my money.

You have to convert it if you want a real feeling AK74 but I don't care, I just want a decent rifle that shoots the small 5.45 round.

The thing with an AR is that people say the corrosive stuff, if that's what you're going to shoot, gets into the gastube. Not a big deal if you are going to just replace the tube but if you think you're going to clean it every time, then there's something to consider. I don't know, I'm not an AR fan or a fan of overpaying for that kind of rifle, so give me the Saiga and I'm happy.

I would say just do the research and try to fire one first if possible. People talked about the keyholing but then other sources said it's non-existent or not anything to consider worrying about.

NSO_w/_SIG

I run a 20" Model1 5.45 upper on one of my AR's. The reason, I like to shoot cheap ammo for practice on the weapon system I carry for a living. It is accurate, fun and cheap to shoot. No issues andd just clean good once you get done shooting.

I like the AR platform so I''d recommend it.