5.45 x 39 ammo...

Mokumbear

There are a number of videos on YouTube from about 9 months ago claiming that that 5.45 x 39 ammo was going to be made illegal because it was claimed to be "armor piercing".

I checked today and there is plenty for sale.

What happened?

Mobuck

Not ALL 5.45x39 was deemed "armor piercing" only the specific European military surplus. Not "illegal" but no longer importable was my interpretation.

40CalGuy

if it was made in a russian factory at any point, it is not banned from further importation by executive order along with all of the other small arms that were banned in that same executive order.

it has not to do with europe.

many ranges will not allow it because most of the military surplus uses a bi-metal jacket on a steel or lead core. they are worried about potentially sparking a fire, increased penetration into their backstops and potentially environmental issues. as such, shooting it in most indoor ranges i've been to is not allowed and many outdoor ranges do not allow it for environmental reasons.

check gunbroker.com if you need to find mulsurp. expect to pay somewhere around $350/1080 tin before shipping for 7N6 milsurp, which although is very reliable and accurate (for an AK) is also corrosive. new production ammo will vary in price, but expect it will run you around the same.

these prices are only likely to go up from here on out, as getting more is now impossible.

tahunua001

SURPLUS!!
Surplus ammo is now illegal. the entire cartridge is not illegal.

and it's only illegal for import. everything already here is still legal to buy and sell.

Mokumbear

5.45 x 39

My local range will not allow you to shoot steel core ammo.

Is Brown Bear ammo in 5.45 x 39 considered steel core ammo?

I don't want to buy an AK-74 just to find out that I can't use it there...

Tucker 1371

Is Brown Bear ammo in 5.45 x 39 considered steel core ammo?

I don't want to buy an AK-74 just to find out that I can't use it there...

It is not "steel core" but rather has a mild steel jacket that is copper washed wrapped around a normal lead core. This is commonly referred to as a bimetal jacket. Most ranges, however, will interperet this as steel core and a pulled bullet will still stick to a magnet like a steel core round. Most ranges in my area just don't allow steel cased ammo at all because the majority of it uses bimetal jacketed bullets.

Mobuck

Be advised that some of the "Bear" ammo uses bullets that MAY be incompatible with some chambers. I had to send my S&W 5.45 upper back to have the throat "adjusted" to use Silver Bear 55 grain HP. The last 5.45 AR barrel I bought specifically stated "NOT compatible with Bear 55 grain SP/HP).
Not much of a problem now since I only use Silver Bear 60 grain FMJ and Hornady V-Max.