49 bullets = 49 counts

He probably knew he didn't have a license either.

Why yikes? Had he robbed 49 stores would you just charge him with one robbery? Had he kidnapped 49 kids at once would you just charge him with one count of kidnapping?

It isn't like the rules of being a felon are all that complicated on what you can't have or do...just like not having a license means you can't drive legally.

It must suck being criminally stupid.

BerettaCougar

Why yikes? Had he robbed 49 stores would you just charge him with one robbery? Had he kidnapped 49 kids at once would you just charge him with one count of kidnapping?

It isn't like the rules of being a felon are all that complicated on what you can't have or do...just like not having a license means you can't drive legally.

It must suck being criminally stupid.

Apples and oranges.

RedneckFur

I think thats insane. Charge him with one count. Its ammo, for crying out loud. Next thing ya know, they'll break the ammo down into its various componets and charge him with 200 counts.

I look at it like this. What if a cop gave you a ticket for EVERY mph you went over the speed limit? Going 62 in a 55 would be very pricy, indeed.

Bruxley

With a prior record of armed burglary and drug possesion, that he had 49 - not 50 rounds and no gun, my insticts say they charged him with 49 counts to leverage an answer to the question 'where's the gun and the 50th round'. And the answer is probably what this is all about.

hammer4nc

From a related story...

Dominguez, 27, remained in Orient Road Jail on Sunday. His bail had been set at $367,750.

I don't support felon in possession prohibitions. It has become the single biggest statute propelling BATFE prosecutions, in making federal cases out of paper non-crime infractions.

Tremendous waste of resources, to what end? Of course, some Americans would like to see all felons stripped of all rights for the rest of their lives, regardless of the triviality of their original felony, or subsequent paper infractions, like this one. Then again, some people take pleasure in the suffering of others.

This story is noteworthy for the "49 counts", and the excessive bail quoted above. Reminds one of the movie "Training Day" where Denzel catches a crippled Snoop Dogg with a Glock, and starts unloading the mag while threatening one year in prison for each round. Similar flavor here, as far as the implied integrity of law enforcement.

Abuse of discretion, IMO.