.480 Ruger

onlybrowning

I just got a smoking deal on a used Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. It's the target gray stainless and a 7.5" barrel. I can't wait til it gets here and want to hear all about other's experiences with it!

Gdawgs

I have the 454 Casull version in the safe(it's actually my dad's but I'm borrowing it). They aren't the prettiest guns, but they are built like a tank. Very reliable, plenty accurate, and a hoot to shoot.

Full power 454 loads kick pretty hard. I've never shot a 480, but I'm guessing recoil will be pretty similar to the 454. If you handload, you can make up some lighter loads to tame the beast a bit. With full power loads, you aren't going to want to be shooting that thing all day. Enjoy!

Lost Sheep

Congratulations.

At the risk of being indelicate, what do you consider a smokin' deal?

I have been wanting a 5-shot 7.5", but I don't think any were made, so my 6-shot will have to do. But I do have one 480 and one 454. I plan to run some comparison tests, hopefully this summer. As soon as I can figure out how to objectively measure recoil intensity.

Lost Sheep

mavracer

I've got the 9.5" version it's great. 480 is a very efficient big bore and recoil while abundant is very managable. I put a 2-6X bushnell on it I've been loading 412gr hunter hard casts with 296 to 1300fps it's shooting 2" at 100 yards. I fell in love with the 480 and bought a BFR too.

onlybrowning

Congratulations.

At the risk of being indelicate, what do you consider a smokin' deal?

I have been wanting a 5-shot 7.5", but I don't think any were made, so my 6-shot will have to do. But I do have one 480 and one 454. I plan to run some comparison tests, hopefully this summer. As soon as I can figure out how to objectively measure recoil intensity.

Lost Sheep

$500 out the door in just about perfect condition. The lowest I've seen them go for on GB is over $700.

Coogs

I've had a .480 SRH for a few years, scoped with a Leupold 4X, Ruger rings. I have large hands (size 22 ring finger) so I have a tendency to manage recoil pretty well. I never considered the .480 to be that much more, recoil wise, than a fairly hot .44 mag. They are built like a tank. I think you'll enjoy it! Coogs.

22-rimfire

I would probably bite at that price since I would like to own a 7.5". I have a 9.5" now in 480 Ruger. Reasonably accurate, but UGLY revolver, but it works and seems plenty strong.

tulsamal

.480 is a great cartridge. In my experience, recoil is usually less in the same gun than with a .454. .454 is normally loaded to much higher pressures. .480 may use heavier bullets but lower pressures. In my own guns, I tend to load it to moderate levels. With such big bullets, you don't need to load it to absolute maximum to get the job done. I guess if you were going elk hunting or something but our Oklahoma deer have been quite impressed with my moderate loads.

And I love .480 out of an Alaskan. IMO, that was the best choice for the Alaskan. Of course that's the one they discontinued. I'm glad I got mine!

Gregg