.480 Ruger

Garand Guy

I'm considering a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 Ruger. Anyone have any opinions? (I know, stupid question) I'm looking for shooting impressions, and no, not the one left in your hand after firing one.

Garand Guy

Then how is it that my local gun shop and the nearest Gander Mtn have them in stock? Ruger Super Redhawk (I mistakenly called it a Blackhawk earlier) chambered in 480. They are even in the Ruger catalog.

What is your information source?

Jbar4Ranch

We didn't know you meant Redhawk when you said Blackhawk. The SBH isn't made in .480, the SRH is.

I've had two of them, and think it's a great caliber. Using a Lee 400 grain cast bullet, I can load anything from "plinkers" up to full power .475 Linebaugh loads for it. The Lee bullet has two crimp grooves, and when using the lower groove the case capacity is the same as the .475. I've used exactly the same load in .480 cases with the bullet seated out as I do in my .475. Mine is topped with a 2x Leupold and has sufficient power and accuracy to take deer size game cleanly out to 100-125 yards.

22-rimfire

I have a 9.5" SRH 480 Ruger. I have a Leupold 2x ER scope on it. If I had to do it over again, I would get the 6" and a variable Leupold scope (2-7x, I believe). So far I have only shot factory ammo through it. It is a handful if you are not used to the magnum revolers larger than 44 mag. I am satisfied with the accuracy. I'm still working on shooting it decently well to the 100 yd range since I purchased it for deer hunting. I honestly can't shoot well more than maybe 20 rounds at any one sitting unless I'm just plinking. So on scope work, I shoot 3-round groups to preserve my nerves a bit longer. Make sure you pay attention to your grip or hold on the revolver. First time out, I had bloody hands from not holding the gun properly; the hammer basically ripped the web of my right hand up. I now wear shooting gloves for target use and pay attention to my grip. No problem now.