.478 Weatherby?

Harry Callahan

Went to my first outdoor shoot with IllinoisCarry in northern Illinois. Had a great time. Shot all kinds of weapons but there was this guy there that had a .478 Weatherby(Yes, I saw the stamp!). He was letting anyone who had the stones try it out. So I took it for a ride. Unbelievable round. Forgot to ask how big the slug was(BIG!)but I think I remember him saying it exits the barrel doing about 3300 FPS and has at least twice the energy of a .30-'06. Seemed like the diameter was about the size of a quarter. All I know is that when I took the shot the rifle wound up almost vertical. I have tried to find more info on this round but have struck out. Anybody know more about this?

Jimro

there was this guy there that had a .478 Weatherby(Yes, I saw the stamp!).

Never heard of a 478 Weatherby, only the 378 Wby and 460 Wby. Both are designed for dangerous game.

Sure you didn't misstype?

By the way a US Quarter is one inch in diameter, or "100 caliber", so your frame of reference is off by a tad bit. But not too much, the Weatherby magnums are a bit much to handle.

Jimro

Peralta Kid

Weatherby makes no such animal. The 378 which is more than big enough for anything that lives or ever lived, puts a 300 gr bullet out a snaggle tooth less than 3000 fps.

handlerer

Unless this cartridge was a wildcat, it had to be either a 378WBY, or 460 WBY. There are several wildcat cartridges based on the 378 WBY. I have never heard of a 478 WBY wildcat, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there. I own a 340 WBY, and 300 WBY and these are real boomers, the 378 based rounds hold about 30 grains more powder and are fierce cartridges. Most shooters that own these rifles have them equiped with muzzle brakes. I believe that WBY only offers these rounds in MKV, with brakes already installed. I have wanted to shoot a 378 based round, but haven't yet, and would only fire it a couple of times. 20 rounds through a 300 WBY is all I will subject my shoulder too, and I feel that for a week. None of my Weatherbys are braked though.

10mm man

30-378

I have a mk V in 30-378. it's a pleasant shooter with the muzzle brake on, wild ride without it.:D it has more energy at 400yds than the 30-06 starts with. firing it doesn't bother me but it's 5 bucks a wack.

Scorch

there was this guy there that had a .478 Weatherby(Yes, I saw the stamp!).
Never heard of it, and it's not listed on Weatherby's site. Could be a wildcat cartridge, but it's not a standard Weatherby chambering. Sounds like a stomper!
I believe that WBY only offers these rounds in MKV, with brakes already installed.
You can buy them either way (with/without muzzle brake), but I bet they sell a lot more of them with than without!