460 w/ 3 inch cylinder?

nhyrum

This seems like it would be my ideal deep woods gun. 460/454 casull/45lc, and with a 2 1/2 or 3 inch long cylinder, could fire 410 shotgun. 460/454 for the man eaters, and 410 for the slithering bastatds...

Anyone know if such a firearm exists? I know s&w's 460 xvr works for the pistol cartridges, but no 410, and the raging judge leaves out the 460, which if I had to pick one to leave out it would be the 460, making the raging judge my pick out of the two.

mavracer

Had a 45 colt/410 barrel for my Contender years ago and shot all kinds of stuff, without the choke 410 from a rifled barrel isn't enough better than good old CCI shot capsules in 44 Special/ 45 Colt. So you can have your weighty 3" cylinder if you want, and IMHO you don't need the added range a 454/460 affords unless you're hunting the toothy stuff.

nhyrum

Had a 45 colt/410 barrel for my Contender years ago and shot all kinds of stuff, without the choke 410 from a rifled barrel isn't enough better than good old CCI shot capsules in 44 Special/ 45 Colt. So you can have your weighty 3" cylinder if you want, and IMHO you don't need the added range a 454/460 affords unless you're hunting the toothy stuff.
That's I good point.

The whole reason I'm getting the 454 is to keep toothy things from getting me, and the 44 magnum minimum for grizz plus, I mean, it's a "judge".

Maybe they have a choke for the 410 pistols?

Cosmodragoon

While the extreme power of .454 and .460 are very attractive, that power can also offer some real challenges. As that wonderful video above demonstrates, recoil is intense. It can be hard to master and you should ask if doing so would be entirely necessary for what you have in mind. For instance, what "toothy stuff" will be upon you that can be stopped with a .460 but not a .44 magnum or even some heavy .410 shot? Will you be in the wilds of Alaska or big-game hunting in Africa?

I don't mean to poo-poo the .460 because it's an amazing cartridge and I have a ton of fun shooting it. I mostly detonate water jugs and past-prime food items with mine but I certainly appreciate the value of hunting with one. I'm just sketchy on carrying one for defense. Even though it's a step down from the .460, .454 Casull is also an extremely powerful handgun cartridge. It'll probably do what you want it to so long as you put in the practice but it's really worth asking if you need it to.

As per sharing with .410, the combination guns are a novel idea but there is a lot of compromise involved, some legal and some technical. These guns are typically less good than a .45 Colt revolver is or a smooth-bore .410 would be (if legal) for their respective rounds. One problem with a .460 version would be stretching that compromise to include the extraordinarily high pressures of the .460. There is also an important design issue to consider. The Taurus/Rossi guns I've seen not only lacked the quality of a Smith or a Ruger, they tended to rely on very wide forcing cones to safely accommodate the .410 stuff. It just seems like a bad idea based on the current product.

fourbore

Here is an idea. The 500 S&W is a large enough cylinder and round that a shot shell load could be offered similar to 22lr, 22mag 44mag loads that use a shot capsule. Or a longer case with a cardboard over shot wad.

Now with that ammo option, there would need to be a muzzle device attached with a bayonet or twist on/off mount. The gun would need an optional accessory muzzle devices. A brake, a choke tube and a blank/protector cover.

You might get by with a 6" barrel. The 500 can be loaded down to 454 levels or 44mag levels.

I understand that what ever I just claim for the 500, could just as well apply to the 460. But, the 500 would hold more shot. More important, the 500's seem to sell like hotcakes. it is a rare day, I even see a 460.

ruggyh

Magnum Research makes the BFR Revolver chambered in 460 S&W and it has 3" cylinder.

I would urge some understanding of state laws regarding short barreled shotguns if traveling outside your state.

good luck and be safe
Ruggy

nhyrum

Magnum Research makes the BFR Revolver chambered in 460 S&W and it has 3" cylinder.

I would urge some understanding of state laws regarding short barreled shotguns if traveling outside your state.

good luck and be safe
Ruggy
DAAAAAAAAAYUM!!! That is a MONSTER! 10 inch barrel??!?! Leave it to magnum research...

The "big toothy stuff" I am protecting myself from is grizzly bear. 44 magnum would do. But I don't want to take any chances. Would a 22lr pistol stop a human threat? With proper shot placement, yeah. I wanted something where shot placement was LESS of a priority. With a charging grizz I doubt I'd have the time to wait for perfect sight alignment, and the best possible shot placement. If I had that time, and the ability to get a clean shot at the vitals I'd carry a 9mm

fourbore

I maybe drifting off topic, and we dont have any brown bear around here, none the less, I wonder. We do have black bear. Lucky for us they will generally beat a fast retreat, assuming you leave them be, no cubs etc...

The only way to stop a black bear quickly is to disable the central nervous system. The usual heart, lung or even shoulder shot and other shot will take time to stop. Rifle shot threw the heart will not stop a bear in his tracks! It seems to me the very best bear revolver would be one that could penetrate the skull. I know a bobbing head is a tough shot, but; the good news is as the distance closes the odds improve. You might get lucky and break his neck or spine if his head was down. My idea is that I would want enough penetration to hit the brain and practice and be under control for fast follow ups. More shots= better survival odds. I like 6 attempts in rapid succession to bust him in the head. I dont want extra power and I would not want to come up short on power or rounds.

Not something I need to worry about, just for sake of discussion what does it take to crack a big brownie skull? I hear they have a hard head.

ruggyh

I would venture to say less than .5% of the posters proclaiming what the best caliber for bear protection have not even seen a bear in action.

You won't be shooting a stationary target- it will be moving at 35 plus mph.

The best defense against bear attack is understanding bear behavior.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy

PS, Seen a brown bear skull with 6 healed over 44 bullets in it's jaw, wonder if they guy who shoot them thinks his 44 was enough gun?