460 S&W info

Noreaster

I'm taking a hard look at the 460 S&W. What does a 460S&W do that a 454 Casuall can't do. Also does anyone feed a steady diet of 45 Colt through their 460S&W and how is accuracy. Thanks in advance, N/E.

hoofhearted

460 S&W VS 454 Casull

The big difference is velocity. A 460 can push a 300 grain bullet at over 2000fps where a 454 Casull will push the same 300 grainer at 1700 fps. As far a diet of shorter cases in the 460, accuracy will suffer somewhat because of the free bore, also it will foul up the front half of the cylinder bores. I've shot 454 Casull in my 460 S&W but not often. I prefer the longer case and lower pressures by using 460 brass

Noreaster

Sorry to hear about the leading problem. My area is limited to these handgun calibers; 357 magnum, 10mm, 41 Rem Magnum, 44magnum, 45 Colt & 50 Magnum (F&G can't give you a straight answer about their definition of 50 magnum????) I wouldn't mind getting a 460S&W and using 45 Colt around the house and being able to move up in caliber when I go North. Right now I shoot a 44mag but I really want to get a S&W X frame!

TMD

My pet load in my .460 PC with 10.5" barrel will group all 5 rounds under 2" @ 100 yards. It will also destroy Bushnell and Nikon scopes. :eek:

hoofhearted

If you handload, this should not be a problem. 45 Colt at normal velocities wont lead the barrel but as I mentioned earlier, the bullet jump in the freebore will affect accuracy. And as long as you clean the cylinder bores well eack time, you'll probably be OK:confused: