460 or 500?

Timbow

I've been wanting to acquire one of these beasts for quite some time now and I've finally decided I can swing the funds. I just can't decide which I'd rather have. The 500 is the most powerful handgun produced which definately gives it some allure but the 460 is only a hair behind it and has the versatility of shooting 45's and 454's as well. To those of you familiar with both guns, which would you choose and what are the advantages of both? I'll probably do some hunting with the gun, mostly for deer but would like the option to go much bigger if the opportunity comes along. Thanks for any and all input.

kayakersteve

I went through the same dilema

Only I was also considering the 480. In the end, I chose the 460 for the versatility of multiple rounds as you have mentioned. I am sure if you have aneed for this type of gun, you would enjoy either.
March_07_d08.jpg

2DaMtns

I have not shot either of these behemoths, but have been somewhat interested in them as well. If I do buy one, it will definitely be the 460. As you mentioned, the versatility is a big plus, and would become even more pronounced if you handload. The other big factor in my decision is the cost of ammo. The 460 loads are about half of the 500, give or take. I don't think you'd be undergunned with the 460 hunting anything on this continent, definitely not in the lower 48. To me, it's a no brainer, unless you just HAVE to have the biggest thing out there.

dairycreek

Though owning neither I have had the occasion to shoot both which are, to say the least, formidable handguns. For me the issue of personal purchase would turn on what my intention for using it might be. For plain and simple deer hunting I would opt for the 460 as it offers the most versatility. For me it would be that simple.

laytonj1

Just my opinion but, do you reload?
If yes then get the 500. You'll have the top dog and you can load it up for hunting/fun or down for plinking.

If you gotta buy your ammo then maybe get the 460 so you can shoot slightly cheaper 45 Colts in it (454s aren't cheap). However, if I wanted to shoot 45 Colts, I'd buy a 45 Colt.

460 and 500 ammo is ~$2 a round. Even reloading, it's not cheap to properly feed them.

Jim

maikell77

I've only shot the 460. I own a BFR in 460. I had thought I would be able to shoot all three calibers in it. Mainly I thought I could get cheap 45 Colt for plinking. The fine print in the manual states that the barrel to cylinder gap is too tight to safely shoot lead bullets. Were I shop for my ammo the only non-lead 45 Colt is as much if not more than the 460 or 454 Casull. That being said 460 from Hornaday is down right cheap for such a hand cannon and quite accurate.

I do have to admit that the 500 4" barreled X-Frame is very high on my list.

NavyLT

Having shot the S&W .460, .500 and Dessert Eagle .50AE, we chose the .460. Higher muzzle velocity and flatter shooting would be better for hunting longer ranges, IMHO. If the BFR .460 won't shoot lead then I would go with the S&W original.

Socrates

I wonder how well the forcing cone and top strap are going to hold up on the 460? I'd go with the 500, since it operates with a bit heavier bullets, and, if you handload, you can always load it down.

You can also shoot .500JRH ammo out of a .500 S&@, and, the ammunition is around 1.50 dollars a round, last time I checked. 440 @ 950 fps and 430@ 1350 fps.

Winchester_73

460 Xvr

I own a 460 and a friend of mine I work with bought the 500 a few months after they came out. Living in western PA, I question the need/use of a 500. At least the 460 is not overkill for deer. The 460, with the right load, can take anything in north america. So the 500 is suitable for Africas biggest most dangerous game (in the hands of an expert), so what? My friend won't be able to afford to go on safari for a long time. The choice was much easier before the 500 S&W special was created. When he got his 500, the shells were approx $2 each. The S&W 500 specials are cheaper than the regular loads. The only reason for the average guy to get the 500 is to say he has most powerful handgun in the world. Well my opinion is that I have the most USEFUL X frame in the world while also having the highest velocity handgun. If you don't get a 500 with the muzzle brake, its also not user friendly. My 460 XVR has a nice interchangeable muzzle brake and it reduces the recoil of a 45 colt to the recoil of a 38 special. I simply think that the 460 is much more user friendly and unless you plan to hunt in Africa (a rhino or cape buffalo) the 460 is my recommendation.

publius

I would go the .460 route for the reasons you stated, you have the 454/45colt option. If you can't do it w/a .460 you ain't gonna do it w/a 500.

Socrates

Well, I can almost buy the .460 argument. with 395 grain bullets, at near 1800 fps, most anything is going to go down, with proper shot placement.

There is an argument that .50 caliber bullets, 500 grains, are simply the best stopping round in a handgun, this side of a .510 Maximum.

The additional case size of the .500 gives you a wider range of bullet weights to load, and, the ability to shoot 440 to 500 grain HP's is a huge advantage to the .500.

That said, a 400 grain HP in .475 will go through both shoulders on an elk, and keep going. Still, a 500 grain Hawk HP, in .500 caliber, is going to be the best bear round in a handgun, except maybe a 500 Max.

odoh

Re the post about fine print caution using lead bullets in the BFR (wheres the quote function when needed here?).

Searched their website manual and my own hardcopy w/o success. Did see:

*BFR 45/70: We do not recommend the use
of the PMC 405-grain lead flat point load (PMC
part number 45-70 CA).

*BFR 500S&W: If deciding to reload at your
own personal risk it is very critical that the
correct primer is used. The use of a Magnum
primer in a standard primer pocket will result in
a very dangerous situation.

But as read, nothing about the lead bullets in the 460 and cylinder gaps. Someone have a page location?

Have been shooting hard casts in mine (mild loads~saving max'd loads for jacketed) ~ but got to pondering about shooting the shorter cartridges (454Casull? that much longer chamber scenario always troubled me) in the longer 460 chamber. Would sufficient pressure cause the lead to obturate in the chamber before arriving at the smaller/constricted throat and then swaged down and then again at the forcing cone for a double jeopardy? IF this is an issue/concern, it would apply to any revolver, not just to the BFR.

Wanna thank maikell77 for giving me pause for thot on this ~ Hmm-m, anyone else have thots on this?

Last edited:

cnjaxx

I have the BFRs in 450 Marlin, and the 500 S&W. I like them both. I also have two super redhawks one in 44 Mag, and the other in 454 Casull.

I'm finding that those big bore revolvers are rarely ever used in DA, and from now on, I only want single action big bore revolvers.

The BFR in 500 S&W was on sale not long ago.

CraigC

I question the need/use of a 500.

You could say the same thing about the .460 too. Really, anything beyond the .41Mag, .44Mag, heavy .44Spl and strong framed .45Colt's. Unless you are stretching your range to 150yds and beyond, which most hunters cannot do in the field, neither really gains you much except a sore back from toting a 5lb revolver and a lighter wallet. The .454 is also a wonderful cartridge IF you can take advantage of its longer legs and don't mind the recoil and muzzle blast. Just like most rifle hunters would be perfectly well-armed with a .30-30 instead of a .300Mag, most handgun hunters can use no more than the standard cartridges offer.

If I was gonna shoot .45Colt, I sure as hell wouldn't get an X-frame to do it!

tube_ee

Not only true, but...

You could say the same thing about the .460 too. Really, anything beyond the .41Mag, .44Mag, heavy .44Spl and strong framed .45Colt's. Unless you are stretching your range to 150yds and beyond, which most hunters cannot do in the field, neither really gains you much except a sore back from toting a 5lb revolver and a lighter wallet. The .454 is also a wonderful cartridge IF you can take advantage of its longer legs and don't mind the recoil and muzzle blast. Just like most rifle hunters would be perfectly well-armed with a .30-30 instead of a .300Mag, most handgun hunters can use no more than the standard cartridges offer.

If you are a good enough handgun shot to shoot at game at 150+ yards, wouldn't an Encore/XP-100/Striker in a centerfire rifle cartridge be a better choice anyway?

I mean, even the African big-bores, which far exceed any big-bore handgun round, are considered short-range cartridges for the largest animals, correct?

--Shannon

Socrates

I'd get the .50 just because it may be the target of the Obama/Congress coalition. Plus, Once you play with .50, or .510 bullets everything else just seems small...;)

laytonj1

If you are a good enough handgun shot to shoot at game at 150+ yards, wouldn't an Encore/XP-100/Striker in a centerfire rifle cartridge be a better choice anyway?
Yes... but, if I was going to shoot rifle cartridges I would use a rifle (which those are really just short barreled versions of). The whole point of handgun hunting is the challenge of using a handgun and handgun cartridge. At least that's how I see it.

Jim

Firepower!

I would buy 500. Wont be thinking to buy a bigger handgun after that,

If they were in Pakistan I would happily pay 5K for it.