9mm 159.8 dB
.38 S&W 153.5 dB
.38 Spl 156.3 dB
.357 Magnum 164.3 dB
.41 Magnum 163.2 dB
.44 Spl 155.9 dB
.45 ACP 157.0 dB
.45 COLT 154.7 dB

John, you were right about the 9mm possibly being even louder than the .45 in some instances. That was a surprise to me. I guess there is such a thing as "perceived loudness", as well as perceived felt recoil. LOL :D

divemedic

It seems to me that "perceived loudness" would not only mean db, but frequency as well. My 45 seems to be a loud, but dull roar. My 357 sig seems to be a louder, sharp crack.

akr

Boy, that .357 magnum is about the loudest thing I have ever heard. I think it's louder than my 12 ga. :barf::eek:

Edward Nigma

I've been told if one ever has to fire a .357 round in their home in the middle of the night, they'll be both deaf and blind for a time afterwards.

akr

I believe it, and I think that if someone uses one for HD, that they aren't considering those factors.....another + for the 9mm, at least for the flash factor.

LightningJoe

First handgun I ever shot was my friend's 1911 with a 5" barrel in 9mm (outdoors with no earplugs). Went and bought my own 1911 with a 5" barrel in .45. Shot it outdoors also with no earplugs. Handed it to my friend after a few rounds and let him shoot off the rest while I stood with my fingers in my ears.

brickeyee

The problem with using conventional dB meters on impulsive nopise like gunshots is bandwidth.
The devices do not have anough bandwidth to correctly respond to the peak sound intensity present.
This leads them to miss a portion of the impulse and record a lower value than is actually present.