.45ACP to 10mm

Cal4D4

Is the 1911 conversion just a matter of barrel, springs and magazines? I may have to start with a commander sized AMT stainless 1911 ( called a "Skipper"). Inquiring minds need to know.

It's a little more complicated than that. Don't use full power loads if you go that route. I suspect that full power 10 mm will pound the frame to pieces.

johnwill

I doubt most guns that were designed for .45ACP will stand up to the abuse of full power 10mm loads. If you really want a 10mm, I'd suggest that you start with a 10mm pistol! :)

Cal4D4

10mm too much

I understand the cautions, but somehow Clark is able to operate the 1911 at approx. 35K pressures with the .460 Rowland using heavier springs and a compensator to help delay unlocking. The .460 Rowland should have a substantially higher recoil impulse and certainly achieves 10mm pressures. I have not compared slide mass with Glock's G20, but I doubt whether it is any greater than typical 1911 slides. Why not full power 10mm in a 1911 platform? What does the Delta Elite do to survive this? I've got an early 1076 but want a 1911 style - want a 610 also, but we all know that story. Is the used market Delta the only reasonable path?

BigG

Also, the 10mm uses a smaller diameter firing pin than the 45 since it is higher pressure.

Slide, ejector, bbl, bushing, recoil spring, mag all should be changed. And even then I'm not sure if the frames are beefed up on 10mm or not.

It's a little bigger project than you might think.

Cal4D4

10mm Pipedream

Breechface, springs, barrel, bushed firing pin, compensator and still unknowns. Looks like the smart money goes to a used Delta or maybe I should try the Glock. That would be a new one for me. Must be some reason Kimber, etc aren't putting out a 10mm. Thanks all for the input.

CastleBravo

As a practical matter you can't convert a .45 ACP 1911 to 10mm. I asked Bar-Sto about it and they said, basically, that all the dimensions for everything that matters are wrong. :eek:

You CAN convert a .40S&W 1911 to 10mm easily enough, and as long as you have a good steel frame and good recoil setup (FLGR, 24lb spring, shok buff) it should be fine. It is probably easier and cheaper to just get a used Delta Elite; they are great guns and you can get blue ones for as low as $600 if you shop around.