.45acp defense ammo suggestions needed

davidsoc

Hey all im looking for a defense round that shoots and feels the closest to standard 230 grain FMJ. Ive made sure my gun functions with JHP's with the cheap bulk stuff and will of course run a box of whatever defense ammo i get to make sure it works, but don't have the money right now to try out different kinds of the expensive stuff to see what shoots most like what i'll be practicing and plinking with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

-David

You can go here to find the loads that have passed the FBI's test protocols: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

The only thing I would add is that I don't always agree with what the author believes. In the case of bonded JHPs, they don't expand as well as their non bonded counterparts, but they do better in passing through the various barriers and go on to expand in ballistic gelatin. Of all the "approved" loads, the one I like best, personally, is the 230 gr. SPEER Gold Dot. Standard or +P. ;)

virg

To me the standard 230g Gold Dots feel just like a 230g hardball load as far as recoil goes. Now the 200g +P Gold Dot is a different story!

lyodbraun

185g solid copper bullet from Barnes (Corbon DPX) is what I use, it along with the Federal HST has been the best performing bullets that I've tested, the solid copper bullet has expanded each time everytime, and even through a pair of jeans that were all folded up at least 8 layers thick full expansion, the HST failed to expand on that one ... but its still a darn good bullet..

ClydeFrog

Lists of good .45acp carry/duty type rounds...

There are a few well made factory .45acp rounds.
Depending on your budget & what's available for sale, look at these brands:

Hornady Critical Duty 220gr .45acp, TAP, Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP +P, Golden Saber 230gr +P JHP, Ranger T/T Series 230gr JHP, DPX, PowRball, DRT: www.DRTammo.com , ATK/Federal HST 230gr, DoubleTap Ammo: www.DoubletapAmmo.com .

ClydeFrog

That link to the ammo about FBI protocols is a good reference. I've read it, all those choices look very Good. If you are looking for the best performer, I have to agree with the previous post regarding DPX. This Ammo is Super expensive but the Solid copper Barnes Bullet seems to perform best in the barrier dept. From the tests I've seen does great thru heavy clothing as Well. Look around, other ammo suppliers also offer this Bullet, Not just Corbon

ninjaamt

45 defense ammo

I have a finiky old AMT but works flawlessly in terms of feeding with the Hornsby critical defense ammo. So that's it for me!

milito227

I would say stay away from the plus p (+P) ammo will recoil more than the same load in regular pressures. If you want a load that recoils similarly to practice ammo. Which I think is a great idea.

Both police departments I worked for L.A.P.D and Susanville pd used Federal HST (hydra shock 2) .45 230 gr I did a lot of research and it is a great load. Also good are Speer gold dot and Hornady critical duty.

P.S. if you are from Idaho please support our local forums at zidaho forum.

csmsss

I'm a big fan of the Ranger T, which is a slight redesign of the Black Talon round. The wound ballistics appear to be impressive indeed. I'm sure all of the popular HP rounds will be at the very least adequate, however.

Quincunx

I have used the 230-grain (non +P) Golden Saber as it feeds equally well in the 4516's, the Commander, and the Ballester-Molinas.