.45ACP case size VS. .45AutoRim

dewey

Being new to handloading these (AR)I was wondering if the powder charges are interchangeable between these two ? I have some very good loads for my ACP revos and was going to start loading AR(found new Hornady dies for $10!)
** OAL and compressed powder concerns ? **

Can I use the shellplate from the .458 ? OTHERS ? Hate spendin $25 on those darn things....Txs....dewey

Coolray

According to Speer#13 the Auto rim loads are very close but in the .45ACP they are a little slower. Get a good manual it will answer this type of question.
You should work up a load for each pistol,not just drag data from one to another, that can cause problems.
Besides the work up is the fun part in reloading for me.

Intel6

The AR is basically an ACP case with a fat rim. The charges used can be the same. The AR data you usually see is lowere than ACP data because there are lots of older 1917 revolvers out there and they don't want to have them too hot in case they are used in one in bad shape.

If you are using a modern production weapon then you don't have to worry, use ACP data in the AR cases.

You will have to get a specific shell holder for the AR. The rim is very thich and nothing else out there is like it. You do not need to get another set of dies if you already have ACp dies, they work the same. The only thing I do different when loading AR or ACP cases for my revolvers is to crimp them with a Redding profile crimp and not the taper crimp of the ACP die set.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The AR and ACP case capacity and loads are identical and both can be used in any double action revolver intended for use of the .45ACP (US Model 1917 Colt or S&W, S&W 25 and 625, etc.). The AR cannot be used in Ruger or Colt SA revolvers with .45ACP cylinders.

Both AR and ACP loads should be reduced for use in Webley .455 revolvers with cylinders turned to use .45ACP with moon clips. These revolvers were not made for the higher power .45ACP and should not be subjected to much shooting with .45ACP/.45AR normal loadings.

Jim

dewey

Which 1917 ? ? ?

Thanks to you all. I have 3 S&W .45ACP revos and I quess they have taken over my fav target load. Three of us bought a bunch of supplies and have gotten the cost of 200 SWCs down to $2.08 which is down there with rimfire !

Can someone tell me which 1917 version to purchase ?
There are a few varriations and the data I have found is pretty limited....TXS....dewey