.45ACP Brass Question - markings on sidewalls

CortJestir

My local range's gun store was having a fire sale and I came across a one gallon Ziploc bag bulging with .45ACP range pickups for $12. :D A bunch of the brass has the head stamp of WCC 77 which I understand to be Western Cartridge Co. (Winchester).

The question I have is about the markings made by the factory around the sidewalls (see photo below). What are they for and is this brass reloadable? I assume it's GTG...

Thanks,
CJ

attachment.php

Attachments

• WCC77_45ACP_Brass.jpg
    WCC77_45ACP_Brass.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 323

Sevens

Cannelure, factory crimp if you will. You'll never notice it either way and they are very much good to go.

That is a sweeeet deal on range brass! Hope you found some other calibers, too.

Any 10mm you can get for cheap for a fellow forumite?! :D

wjkuleck

Are you referring to the cannelure? I believe that in this case the cannelure is intended to retard bullet setback, I would imagine particularly during the loading process.

Cannelures are also used as a signal that something is different about the cartridge, e.g., Cal.7.62-MM Match cartridges for M14 rifles. The cannelure warns the shooter that the BTHP bullet loaded therein does not meet the letter of international law. Well, at the time the cannelure was used as a "signal," the BTHP was considered to be an expanding bullet. More recently, this position was reexamined so that these rounds could be used in our engagements overseas. The hole in the nose is simply a manufacturing process side effect; the bullet is not intended to expand, nor does it expand.

Regards,

Walt

CortJestir

Thanks, both of you. I had thought that was a cannelure, but being relatively new to reloading/shooting, I haven't seen one yet! :eek:

Sevens, they only had .45ACP. But next time I'm out there, I'll see if there is any 10mm for ya. ;) I know, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it - what a deal.

rg1

The cannelure or knurling around the pistol case is as said to prevent possible bullet setback. They even make tools that you can cannelure bullets or make the same knurling or cannelure on the case.
http://www.bulletswage.com/hct-1.htm
Does your WCC brass have crimped in primers? If so you'll need to remove the crimp before repriming.

tom234

You see this type cannelure many times on "premium" carry/SD ammo that may be chambered several times. Apparently it's used to eliminate setback.

Ozzieman

Good and correct answer.
But I have to share what I heard at the range I shoot at several weeks ago,,,,
Two young gangster types were shooting and the one asked his friend what the lines on the case were for and his answer was.
“Don’t ever buy those,,, that’s a code they put on the cases so that they can trace them.”
I laughed so hard I had to stop shooting for some time.
I wanted to say to them that there are also some with those same code lines on the bullets.:)

drail

That is Winchester military brass from '77. Very good brass. I have some from 67 that still works perfectly. You don't have to seat your bullets at the cannelure. Just load to whatever length you want....