.45acp AR15 ?

oldcars

Who makes a kit? is it worth it? I would like to buy a suppressor in the next year or so, and I want to be able to use it on a Pistol and rifle/carbine. I figured that since it's already slow .45acp would be a good round for suppressed shooting, am I right?

NWCP

Why not just buy a HK USC? Simple blowback design and utterly reliable. Shoots +P, +P+ and .45 super. I like mine a lot and have been using it for 8 years now with 0 malfunctions. Great carbine IMHO.

lmccrock

Olympic Arms has one, but the mags are 10-round modified Sten mags. I guess they have not done anything since the ban expired. There is a thread on arfcom talking about a variety of conversions.

Lee

oldcars

Thanks for the info guys! Those HK's look neat. How about a Beretta storm? they look kind of funky but I wonder how they function? Thompson? they are kind of heavy, but I can still get a reproduction for a half-way decent price.. Mabe I should just build a AR in .300 Whisper, it would be alot cheaper, but then my idea of using one can for two guns goes out the window.

Smaug

Sholling said:
Why? 45acp (unlike 9mm) does not benefit from a longer barrel.

That is true for factory ammo. Us handloaders could use slower burning powder and get a huge velocity boost for "free".

grendelbane

I have to disagree about .45s not benefitting from a longer barrel. They do not gain as much in FPS as 9mm, since they are travelling slower to begin with. However, they do gain in velocity.

Neither one will set the world on fire when fired from a carbine barrel, but both do pick up a little, useful bit of velocity.