.45acp and bullseye?

Biathlonman

Ok I am new to reloading so forgive me if this is a stupid question. First off I am very book conscience right now, but I have a question about upping a load over the book value.

All sources I have found list 230gr LRN slug as having a max charge of 4.0gr (alhthough some call this the "target" load), while they list 5.0 with jacketed 230. I am looking to make an equivavlent round nose to my 230gr self defense load. Can I up my charge of bullseye with the LRN?

Pressures seem to be really low with the 4gr charge, but I am so new at this that I am looking for help.

I do have a chronograph which I was planning on using to get the lead to match the numbers of a factory jacket 230gr, self defense load.

With all that being said, I am still looking for a good safe practice round.....Thanks for your help!!!!

:confused: :confused:

C.R.Sam

Suggest work up two tenths at a time till you get it right.

Do not exceed 5gr.

If your bullets have proper lube, should be able to get the load to match. If proper lube on em, youre gonna get leadin. Watch for it.

Do not take my word for it. Second source ALL load data. Even that from printed pubs. Editorial gaffes and typos happen.

Sam

jjmorgan64

Alliant's website lists 4.0 gr bullseye as the max.

Minimum OAL 1.190
(inches)

Bbl Length 5.0

Primer Fed.

Powder Charge Weight Bullseye 4.0
(grains)

Velocity 810
(fps)

Chamber Pressure 13,900
(psi)

This sounds like a pretty sound load. If you want to increase thye umph a little you may want to switch powders.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I've loaded a ton of 225/230 gr CRN .45 ACP loads using exactly 5.0 gr BE with no pressure signs and no problems...ever.
I'm not advising to go beyond published data.

Different guns have different "maximums" and the publishers of reloading manuals have to take all pistols that might fire a load into account.

That loads gives right at 800 ft/sec from my 5" Kimber.

Perhaps start off with 4.5 or 4.6 gr and work up until you get what you want.

Best.

PS: As you know, there's a difference between hard cast and swaged pistol bullets with the former being much harder. In some cases, Speer has stated that loads with their swaged bullets are on the low side to prevent leading.

Shoney

Not that I am advocating it, but my old Pacific manual lists a max of 5.7 gr Bullseye and 230 fmj. At 5.0 gr it only has a pressure of 16,200 PSI, while +P goes to 22,000 PSI.

Alliant even lists a +P load with 230FMC and Power Pistol.

I have been able to load copper washed, hard cast lead bullets to the velocity of jacketed.

Regards, Shoney

Biathlonman

Weshoot2--

That was my other question. The manual listed 1.19" as proper OAL length, but the bullets look really short.

Is this right or should I back the die out a little to make them a little longer?

Peter M. Eick

Like weshoot says, long load them, 1.265 is a great length for 230 hardball. I run 4.9 grns bullseye with no problems, rem 230 fmjs, starline brass, cci300 primers.

LAH

My Load

I use 4 grains of Bullseye with the 230 lead RN. OAL 1.270. My 45 Edition Lyman Manual list 4.7 at 854 fps as max. 5 grains is probably OK.

badboybob

I quit using Bullseye years ago. I is the dirtiest powder I've ever used. That said NEVER go beyond maximum recommended loads if you value your extremities.

Edward429451

Awhile back I was using BE as a .45ACP powder. Charge weight was 5.0 grains with a 225 gr LRN. Forget the length and I'm on my way back out to work from lunch, so no time to look it up. IIRC, that was before I had calipers and I just seated them until they would work in a Colt Mag...