.45ACP ammo for plinking and home defense?

tjhands

Hi guys. I just picked up my first .45 this past weekend! I chose the Ruger P97DC. Took it out and shot it yesterday...only had time for 25 rounds but it seems very solid and surprisingly accurate at 50 ft.

I bought 50 rds of 230 gr PMC ammo for $12.50 but was wondering what you guys like to shoot for practice. Is "Wolf" brand just garbage or what?

Also, what do you recommend in a hollow point for home defense? Hydra-Shok?

Thanks!!!

jerryd

The wolf ammo for 223 is terrible !!! Laquer coating gums up the chamber and bolt! Wont use it in pistols either, WW from wallyworld,20.00 100rds, plus i reload! Try different brands to see what shoots best in your pistol then go from there! Look at midway,natchezz and some other on line dealers! :)

tjhands

Thanks. Yeah, I figured the Wolf stuff was too good to be true. I mean, I'm all for cheap ammo, but that stuff is SUSPICIOUSLY cheap! :)
What is the WW ammo you get at Walmart? Winchester USA? Fill me in on that, please.

Bill Z

WW around here started carrying Remington HP's in 100 count boxes pretty cheap too along with the white box stuff.

I used to shoot the heck out of Speer lawman and even Blazer at lost brass matches, but am glad I reload now because of the amount I shoot. As for carry, I've got some old Triton ammo, I hate that they went out of business, but sans that, I would probably go with Cor-bon, although I wouldn't feel bad about carrying ball ammo.

Try www.ammoman.com they are real reasonable on their prices as I can remember.

liliysdad

FWIW, Wolf is no longer Laquer coated, it has a nice polymer coating. If it does, it should be grey in color. I like Wolf, myself.

12.50/box is way, way too high for range ammo. I shoot mostly Mag-Tech ammo, and I get it for ~8.50/50. I can shoot WWB for ~10.00/ box, but I dislike it, as I find it nasty and unaccurate. I prefer Wolf to WWB.

For defense, I carry Taurus Copper Hex 185gr, but I get them at ~7.00/20, so I can afford to practice with them. They have incredible expansion, and they are totally reliable. When my stock of Taurus runs out, I will most likely go to either Gold Dot 230gr, or Ranger T 230gr, as both are proven and reliable.

I dont trust Cor-Bon as far as I can throw them.

HappyGunner

Blazer or WinWhiteBox for Range

I use Blazer and WinWhiteBox from WalMart for range. Win also makes personal protection Ammo. I have some of it for carry and also I have some Rem.Golden Saber. Myself I would not use Wolf Ammo.

MCIWS

I have never had a problem with Corbon other than the increased muzzle flip. I prefer 230gr for a .45 ACP and Rem. Golden Sabers or Winchester SXT will give good expansion from most barrel lengths. I am not a fan of Fed. Hydra-shoks even though they are a quality brand.

IZinterrogator

When I have my USP45 loaded for HD, I use 230 gr. Remington Golden Sabers or 230 gr. Winchester Silvertips. For plinking, 230 gr. Federal American Eagle FMJs.

Handy

I never had problems with Wolf .45, and found it to be extremely accurate.

It may be a poor choice for a gas operated gun, but as long as you clean all the crap out after going to the range, why not shoot Wolf?

InToItTRX

Wolf is not laquer coated, I would go ahead and buy it for target practice, it is much cheaper, and just as good. My only complaint is it makes the gun a bit more dirty. So be sure to clean it after 100 rounds or so, for me thats one shooting session. I use Wolf in my Beretta .40S&W and Glock .45ACP I would say I have fired about 600 rounds through each gun and I have had zero issues. After I clean it I load it with 230 Grain Federal Hydra Shok's Jacketed Hollow Points for home defense.

tjhands

OK, thanks for all the advice guys!

I'm getting addicted to the whole "gun thing!" I used to be into it with rifles, but never handguns. Now, after 15 years, I'm going head over heels for the handguns.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has opinions, please post...I'll check tomorrow.

Rusty Jr

RE:ammo

I've been using Wolf's new polymer coated ammo for a while, at 500rnds/$75 (SportsmanGuide) shipped to my address. It's plenty accurate for target practice. I've had no problems with it.