45acp-45 long colt?

Scorch

Sure, but there is no crimp cannelure on 45 ACP bullets, so you will not be able to crimp the loads. Better to buy 45 Colt bullets.

44 AMP

Staff
Yes, generally....

.45 ACP bullets run .451/.452 in diameter. Current .45 Colt bullet are about the same, but guns made before WWII generally use a diameter of .454 for the .45 Colt, and some older bullet designs may be sized for the older standard.

Also, the expander in the .45 Colt die set should be checked. If it is too large, the .45 ACP bullets will be a loose fit, which can give trouble.

Some .45 ACP bullets have a crimping groove (cannelure), many do not. Most .45 Colt dies will roll crimp, which should not be used with bullets without a cannelure. To crimp bullets with no cannelure, a taper crimp must be used. Normally this will require the use of a seperate crimp die.

If you don't crimp your .45 Colt ammo (no matter which bullet), you can have problems with bullets jumping forward due to recoil. A tight bullet/case fit, and a good crimp will keep the bullets in place, even with heavy loads.

popbang

They will work just fine in medium to light loads. I use 230 grain FMJ from time to time in 45 Colt. There is no bullet jump that I have seen up to 950 fps. You have to remember the 45 ACP uses a taper crimp and the same bullets, so if you don't exceeed the velocity of them by an extreme amount you should not have a problem with bullet jimp. I use a taper crimp die, but you can also use a roll crimp adjusted to just take the flare out of the case. They shoot aboutthe same as 250-255 grain bullets at short range, out to 25 yards, but past that i can't tell you what they will do.

I did get a hold of some 230 grain Golden Saber bullets, and they have worked just fine. I was going to try them out on deer, but just kept using 255 grain SWC.

JoeHatley

can u use 45acp bullets in 45 long colt brass for reloading

Sure. I use the same 200 grain SWC Rainier plated bullet in both calibers. I do keep the .45 Colt loads down around 900 fps. If you want to load faster, you may want to watch for bullet jump.

Good Luck...

Joe

Linear Thinker

Not a problem. I use the 200gr SWCs of H&G68 pattern in 45ACP, 45 Colt and 45 Schofield. While the nominal diameters differ by 1 thou, in practice that does not seem to affect the accuracy or reliability.
The crimping comments above are valid at high pressures or velocities, but at lower speeds there should be no issue.
LT

TEDDY

Crimping

I roll crimp my 200 gr swc all the time as I seat the bullet to be 1/32 out of case.[45ACP]on the 45 colt you may seat it to first grease groove.it is going to be short.

StrikeEagle

I do it. :)

The Lee 230grn LRN TL, the same as I use in my .45auto, also works a treat in .45 Colt over 6grn Red Dot.

Easy to cast and lube, no problems reloading, and fine accuracy.

WESHOOT2

crimp will not secure the bullet

I was tasked with making 45 Colt 'social' ammo with certain specified 45 ACP bullets, but was utterly unable to keep them secured without adhesive (which I refused to do).

I tried everything to secure them (test gun was 5.5" Redhawk) but once the loads reached 'useable' velocity the bullets started creeping forward.

I used specialized sizers and crimp dies and mouth flare dies but it didn't work.

Ended up pulling 225g Silvertips to use with their cannelure......

But a 'target' velocities I've had no issues; shot IPSC with 230g TCJ-RN.