458 socom

ISC

I have a budy that has one. He likes it but never shoots it because the ammo is crazy expensive. He says he wishes he had gotten a 6.8 rem or grendel upper instead.

Braintrain

I love mine and I reload for it but the initial investment was hard to swallow. I have shot some 5 round one hole groups at 50 yards with my reloads.

jmorris

I have a suppressed 458 socom. I went with the 458 because the 450 bush uses .452 pistol bullets that are too light for good subsonic performance and there are fewer .50 bullets to choose from.

If you don’t reload or have money to burn you don’t want any of the above.

458socom.jpg

Houndog

I''ve also got a .458 Socom. Great gun and fun to shoot. It does have a pretty stout recoil.

Of course, as others have said, ammo is incredibly expensive. Also, because I live in Massachusetts, most mfgs. won't ship into the state. And since this isn't the kind of ammo you can walk into your local gun shop and find on the shelf, availability is a problem. Hence, I almost never shoot this gun and hoard the approx. 100 rounds of ammo I still have left like it was gold.

However, I do save all my old brass and someday hope to start reloading.

Technosavant

It looks like .458 SOCOM, although a more flexible platform than .450 Bushmaster, is slipping and will likely fade even more in comparison. .450 has Hornady and Remington making factory ammo for it, so there is a fairly ready supply, if not cheap. .458 is one of those rounds that is few and far between, and even brass is hard to find.

If you want a wide array of capabilities, .458 is probably what you want. However, I'd only recommend going that route if you are able to find some kind of supply for ammo or brass, and plan on reloading.

If you prefer to have more ammo availability, then you'll probably be better off with .450, even if you plan to reload.

T.A.Sharps

I like the idea of the 458SOCCOM shooting the same bullets as my 45/70.

If the brass was a normal price a normal price I would love to have one.

tulsamal

If the brass was a normal price a normal price I would love to have one.

I went to Graf's and checked. The 458 SOCOM brass is $65.69 per hundred. Definitely not cheap for brass that will be flung into the grass.

So I decided to compare the alternative.

The 450 Bushmaster brass is $33.39. Hey, almost half the price. Excellent.

But wait....

that's for 50 pieces. So the price is virtually the same.

Now I will grant you that the 450 is actually in stock and the SOCOM isn't! Prices are higher at Midway but they _claim_ it will be in stock by the end of June. At least they let you click the Remind Me button and you get an email when they get it. Just have to buy it _right now_ before it sells out.

The only one I've shot was a .458 SOCOM and I was impressed. But then I reload for everything I shoot!

Gregg