458 Lott

TaxPhd

A search should turn something up. We had a pertty good discussion about this a while ago. Just don't pay any attention to what BigG has to say about the round! ;)

H&Hhunter

I have a real nice .458 Lott. It started life as a Stainless .375HH. It is 22" long and weighs just under 9Lbs. The stock is a brown precision 1 pounder thats been reiforced and weighted to to my prefrences. The recoil is really manageable by that I mean it's comfortable to shoot. The gun is far more accurate than it has any right to be. With Iron sights it will print under 2 inches at 100 yds all day long. The Lott will launch a 500gr bullet at 2300 fps with out any problems or excess pressure. And will also load .458 win mag and fire them with no problems.
As far as the converson from .375H&H all one needs to do is change the barrel and have it reemed to .458 Lott. Mine feeds functions and fire with no other modifacation what so ever.

If one is going to build a heavy rifle the Lott is truley the most practicle and inexpensive heavy one can own. And You can buy factory Ammo for it now and you can order an already built Lott from Winchester or A-square.

It's a really great round that is really easy and cheap to deal with as far as heavy guns go.

DR_MAX

458 Lott conversion?

I'm buying a Steyr-Mannlicher S/T in 458 Win. I'm wondering what kind of trouble/expense would it be to have the chamber modified to accept 458 Lott. That way it would still fire 458 Win, but could also launch 500 grain pills with about 1000 fp extra ME, should the need for extra power (or just the need for speed) arise. On the other hand, this is a high dollar gun (for me) and I don't want to screw it up. Any thoughts, advice, etc? I assume the 0.3" longer head space would deteriorate accuracy with the Win round, but nobody uses such a gun for paper punching.