454?

geez768

This may sound dumb so if it does you can tell me. I am new to reloading, I was wondering that since you can fire the 454 casull from the 460 S&W Mag. Could you load the ballistic tip bullets from the 460 in the 454 case to make better hunting rounds.

snuffy

As curly would say, cointly! But why not just load them in 460 cases? OIC you have 454 cases but not 460 cases.

geez768

just an idea if you have a 454 and not a 460. could this be done, and would it be worth the effort? I figure they will fit in the case i just wonder if the 454 would be too long when loaded with these. or would inorder to make them short enough would you have to cut the powder too much?

bigautomatic

I don't know the Hornady SST would fit in the cylinder of a .454 revolver, but as far as I know the SST is not available as a component yet. You can get them in a muzzle loader application but there is no canelure to keep the bullet from jumping the crimp. I have went as far as pricing a canelure tool that Sinclair sells so that I can use the muzzle loader bullets in the .460 S&W (along with many other non-grooved projectiles that I'd like to try). I like the Barnes hollow points, but they are very expensive.

314EPW

Bullet Length?

The col for a 454 is 1.745?Col for 460 is 2.16.Putting an SST in there would probably compress the powder,And raise the pressure to the danger point.I use Hornady 250 and 300 grain Mag.I shoot 1 1/2 " at 50 yards.Good enough for me.i shot a deer at about 35 yds and it just dropped on the spot.
Ed

314EPW

Length?

I don't have the length of the SST,but I know they are longer than your standard pistol bullet.I use win 296 ar 32gr up to 36 gr for 200gr to 300 gr Hornady XTP.Not much space left in the case.Call Hornady,maybe I'm wrong.
Ed

BigDog454

I would say yes you can. "IF" the bullet does not exceed the length of the chamber and cause the cylinder to bind, and if you follow accepted safe loading procedures. If you are going to do this in a revolver chambered for the 460, just use 460 brass; it would make things so much easier. Now if you want to use those bullets in a 454 casull chambered revolver, you'll have to take into consideration OAL, bullet weight,etc to make a safe load. That sounds like an interesting load to work up for the 454. I've found the my Ruger SRH dosen't like bullets under 230gr, even those are not what I would call accurate, but I have found that 250 gr XTP's are very deadly on deer at about 1250 fps.

geez768

thanks guys, the cylinder length is what i am worried about. it was just an idea anyway. if i get a 460 i wont have to worry about it but i thought it my be a nice project for the guys who have the 454 and dont want to change to the 460. I like them both its just that the price on the X frame is a little steep. mybe others will chamber it in the future like they did with the 500. nothing against Smith & Wesson brcause thats all i own right now it just that they are expensive. (probably would buy the smith anyway but others may drive the price down a little)

bigautomatic

314EPW- Calling Hornady is a good idea. I have been waiting for them to start boxing up the SST as a reloading component, but if it is not in the near future (if ever) I might as well go ahead and order the tool from Sinclair. That way I can seat the muzzle loader SST to max length. I know that I won't achieve the velocities of the factory loading because they use a powder that is not available to the public (kinda like the SST bullet), but I would like to come up with a midrange velocity load with low recoil for the .460 S&W.

geez768- sorry, not trying to poach your thread, you just sparked a fire (that elusive pointy bullet) that I had almost given up on.

I guess we still would like to know the cylinder lenght of any given .454C. Anyone?

314EPW

454 and 460

The only sabot I saw for 45 cal from Hornady was .400 diameter.Your 454 and 460 need .451 or .452.If you use those sabots you are going to have a ton of free play(slop)in the barrel!No acc. at all. get 250 or 300 gr JHP from them they are great.1 1/2 " at 50 yds with a handgun?I can't do better.It's probaily not the bullet or the gun,just me.
Ed

tarheelshooter

The .50 caliber sabots have .45 caliber SST bullets but have no cannelure.They are available in 250 and 300 grain weights.I have been wondering about using these as well but was afraid to try without the cannelure.However I would be shooting them in an encore barrel so I only have to worry about recoil on one bullet.Any thoughts?

100W_Warlock

Not gaining much...

Your really not going to be gaining much by putting the SST into a 454.

Your better off just using the 300gr XTP/mag and being done with it.

the 460 with the SST gets to see an additional 200-400fps (depending on distance from the barrel) over a 454.