.454 Going to Have to Go Back to Ruger

JBP

The last time I had my SRH .454 to the range the cylinder locked up and I figured that a reload primer must have backed out when I fired a factory round, The cylinder opened up after awhile so I didn't think I would have any trouble when I took it out today. WRONG. The first round fired did not feel or sound right. There wasn't any recoil and the sound was more like an 32 S&W. I unloaded the cylinder and checked the barrel and right below the crown was the bullet lodged in the barrel. The range officer had a rod & hammer so we got it out. After that the cylinder would not shut and the cylinder latch was stuck. I bought the gun new in 2001 so I'll give Ruger a call tomorrow to see if they will fix it w/o any charge.

Gordon Hanson

I had a problem with my SRH 454 out of the box. I sent it off for service and received a new gun (new s/n) two weeks later. While the particulars of my situation may have been unusual, I found their customer service efficient, friendly and prompt. I hope your experience is similar.

SixGunner

Don't mention how the gun was damaged. From your description it sounds like the ammo was at fault (although we don't know for sure what caused the first problem).

Ruger's service is very good from what I've seen, heard and read. If I were you I'd quit shooting those reloads because it sounds like they are your problem. Buy a couple boxes of factory stuff and see if you have any problems then.

As far as the cylinder not shutting, check beneath the extractor star for debris keeping it from seating in the cylinder fully. I had a GP100 lock up in a similar manner once because of debris from (of all things) a cleaning rod!