454 Casull Single Shot Rifle???

jsflagstad

I am looking for a decent rifle for my kid and I think for the type of hunting that we do in the terrain we hunt I think a break action single shot 454 Casull would be just right. I gues my question is, who makes one???? I have found a couple made in 45 long colt but I figured if I could fine one chambered in 454 then we could shoot both.

Any ideas??

JSF:)

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you're thinking inexpensive I think you're out of luck...

You can do it with the Thompson Encore but if you want .454, you're going to have to order a custom barrel as that does not appear to be one of the factory chamberings in the rifle barrels.

FirstFreedom

Yeah, the .454 casull is an *extremely* high pressure round, with even more pressure than most rifle rounds in max loadings. So it has to be put in strong actions. I know that it has been strongly advised against to bore out an NEF single shot from .45 colt. Ejection is an issue too, with cases sticking in the chamber possibly. T/C Encore maybe. T/C Contender, no. I'd feel much better with a falling block or rolling block in that caliber than a break-open.

Another thing - along the same lines as above, re: the high pressures. If you do get one, I'd advise you to NOT shoot .45 colt in it, unless you clean the chamber thoroughly before switching back to .454. The fouling ring in front of the case left in the chamber by shooting .45 colt can cause the bullet in a .454 case not to release quickly enough, due to the fouling ring's "crimp" on the case mouth, which can cause the already-high pressures to skyrocket. I'd shoot .454 casull only to be safe if I had a rifle in it (and I do). I've shot .45 colts in my .454 puma, but I cleaned the chamber thoroughly since then. Not planning to shoot any more .45 colts - too risky with my bad memory as to whether I cleaned the chamber. Not to mention that the .45 colts jam a lot.

mattro

I bought a cheap H&R (NEF) Handi-rifle in 223 heavy barrel, single shot break open. It was around $99 used at Gander Mtn.

I can send the gun in and have a barrel fitted for around $87 in:
45-70
444 marlin
500 s&w

There are alot of these rifles available both new and used.

The trigger is real lousy, and I couldn't find a good aftermarket trigger. Good rifle, mounting optics is real easy. These are not 454 casull but they're pretty stout calibers.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

fisherman66

A 1885 High Wall in 45-70 might be a convert candidate (setting the barrel back many turns and rechambering). It wouldn't be cheap, but it wouldn't get any classier.

The 45LC can be loaded pretty hot in the right action. Buffalo Bore offers some hot factory fodder.

I'm not sure what you are hunting, but a 30/30 would be pretty similar from a ballistic standpoint. Obviously the SD and BC are very different, but energy and trajectory would be close for MPBR shooting (under 200 yards).

jsflagstad

Yeah, I suppose the 45 lc would probably foot the bill. I have worked up a few loads for it in my contender that pack quite a punch, and can probably do the same on a good break action rifle. The H&R survivor looks pretty neat. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Also I see that a 500 S&W is also available in the H&R as well. Anyone have one of these? How is the recoil???

JSF

jsflagstad

I ordered up the H&R 45LC Survival rifle today. Should be a decent gun if I can get it to shoot decently. I'll get a good load worked up for it and hopefully get some good killing power and accuracy out to 50-75 yards.

I hear that these H&R's are pretty well built so we should be able to get a pretty stout load worked up.

JSF