.454 Casull in lever action

Blue1

I am looking for a flatter shooting bullet for .454 loads in my Rossi lever action carbine.

The 225 grain FTX Hornady looks ideal but I can't find any published data. I have Win 296, IMR 4227, and Accurate #9 powders.

I have some coated 230 grain hardcast round nose bullets that chrono'd at 1700 fps, but don't know how much more velocity/pressure the coated hardcast can take without seriously leading the barrel.

Anyone have any experience with this round in .454 Casull? I may be able to extrapolate some loads from Ruger-level .45 Colt loads...

454PB

I have a Puma 92 in .454 Casull, but I've never used a bullet that light. After 20 years of loading .454 for handguns, I have found the light bullets can result in hangfires and squibs when using slow burning powders.

You may have some success if you stay with faster powders like Herco or BlueDot.

Catfish

All of the powder manufactures have web pages where you can down load their data. I also on have worked with this round in handguns. As for your cast bulletsI would have no way to tell how fast you can push them. I have shot so call hard cast bullets that would lead the barrel at 1,400 fps. and hard cast gas checked pushed to 2,700 fps. that did not lead.

The Old Salt

Used to have a pair of 454's, a ruger pistol and the 92 Puma rifle. More Speed produces a flatter trajectory. So I would look to the lighter bullets to get the speed: 230g / 240g. The problem with getting more speed is the 454 can shed its jacket in the forcing cone of a revolver. American Riflemen did an article on this back in 2000 or 2001 if memory serves me correctly. NEVER load bullets meant for a 45 LC for use in a 454. Different mfg of bullets can take different chamber pressures. Because chamber pressures run very high for 454's be sure to check with the bullet mfg site for reload specs. If your thinking about loading cast lead, consider casting your own and using Felxi Lube w lanolin to lube them with. Suppose to let you get IVs in the 2000 fps range with no leading. You will find the recipe here: http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/Felix.html
For all things cast, the Cast Boolits web site has some good info and fellas who have been casting or shooting cast for long time.
Good Luck w the 454's...

Clark

I have Win 94 in 45 Colt that with 250 gr XTP 24 gr H110 20~22kpsi at 1536 fps, is shaking the fillings out of my teeth.
You want to shoot with more recoil than THAT?

TimSr

I am looking for a flatter shooting bullet for .454 loads in my Rossi lever action carbine.

Flatter than coated 230 grain hardcast round nose bullets that chrono'd at 1700 fps? No info on the FTX, but a 240gr XTP-MAG loaded to its potential would be a major improvement.

Road_Clam

I load 460 s&w mag which is the big brother to the 454 casull. Research the Hornady 200 FTX. The 200gr FTX has a thicker jacket and thus can be pushed over 2000 fps if need be. You can also use the 225 gr FTX but those use the standard jacket thickness and should not be shot over 1700 fps.

TimSr

I weird part is that Hodgdon doesn't list any loads for smaller than a 240gr bullet for 454, but they do list the 200gr for 460. Strange.

Road_Clam

TimSr said:
I weird part is that Hodgdon doesn't list any loads for smaller than a 240gr bullet for 454, but they do list the 200gr for 460. Strange.

S&W actually contracted Hornady to design a specific .45 caliber bullet that could handle the 2100 fps velocity of the 460 MAG. Hornadys answer was the 200 gr FTX.