454 Casull -- Barrel Length vs Velocity

Mr.RevolverGuy

For those that love recoil what could be more rewarding than spending a day on the range with a handgun cartridge that reminds you every time you touch one off that you are alive? Or for us Marines the eiry feeling of a hand grenade going off just outside of the killzone radius, but close enough to remind you to be alert. According to SAAMI the pressure for the 454 Casull which requires a small rifle primer for ignition are similar to that of the 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle cartridge. Finally getting a chance to test the effects of barrel length on the velocity of the 454 Casull is something I have always wanted to do.
Chronograph Data Here
DSC02377.jpg

Last edited:

rock185

Interesting, and thanks for posting the information. That 2" Ruger Alaskan in .454, OMG! Gotta admit that recoil more than 357 or 10MM doesn't appeal to me much anymore. BTW, the factory Hornady #9150 300 grain XTP, advertised at 1650 FPS, averages 1585 FPS in my 4 3/4" Freedom Arms revolver. I didn't expect that velocity from my revolver. I figured the advertised velocity was likely from a 7 1/2" gun and that velocity from my 4 3/4" revolver would probably be ~150 FPS-200 FPS less. I've not shot my gun that much, but have always used a load with AA-9 powder giving ~1425-1450 FPS with a 300 grain JSP. I thought it was probably equivalent to the factory 300 grain loads given the shorter barrel length of my gun. Wrong! After shooting the factory 300 grain Hornady, I found that I'd been loading and shooting a comparative Wimp load in my .454;-)

Radny97

I am so glad you just posted this. I've been looking for a while and couldn't find any good velocity data for the 454 out of a lever action. Your measurements confirm my suspicions. There is a very substantial boost in velocity similar to the bump a 357 mag gets from a lever gun. Excellent!
Any chance you could measure what hornady's 240 grain will do from a lever?The box says 1900 fps but I think it's getting a lot more out of a 16 or 20 inch barrel. Thanks!

1G2many

Length still matters.

I have a 9.5" Ruger RH and a Rossi 92, both in 454 Casull. I have them for flying in Alaska. I carry the Ruger RH in a shoulder holster accross the front of my chest mostly because if I am stuck in the aircrafts cabin after a crash it can be reachable if I'm injured. In the back of the plane is the Rossi 92 with a Leupold VXII scout scope on it. I use the Hornady 240 gr. Mags. Since weight & flying are an issue, often they both can't come along, and since anything I take must be able of also pulling hunting duty, I need something that's accurate at range.
I have shot the 7" version and it's okay, but if you need 1. accuracy 2. at range and 3. an ultra hot round impact for dangerous preditor protection (pure, raw, unadulterated power, then the longer barrel is requisite and it makes a difference.
I kinda snickered at the Alaskan when it first came out. I carry the 9.5" Ruger all the time all day when Dangerous preditors/angry moose are a possibility and drawing it quickly from a cross-chest holstered position is not a problem---and mine is scoped, so I don't understand the Alaskan. Carrying for protection against humans vs D.P. is two entirely different things. You dress different and do different when you have to work/ accomplish and carry. I'm always climbing in and out of the plane loading and unloading, so I just can't have something on my hip or back that is catching and snagging. I also have to be able to reach it with a lot of clothing on, and my setup goes right under my Carhart vest. Cross chest is the only thing that works for me. After decades of being in remote AK, I find the bear behind the bush that comes magically out of nowhere like a panther to be a myth. You can stumble upon a situation, but never so close that the Alaskans shortness would be of benefit. You need the barrel length to produce the velocity and accuracy as for instance, a 2" 357 (snub) is roughly equivalent to a 4" 9mm in energy and the 9mm would be more accurate. Therefore I'd take a 1911 or 6" 357 revolver over an Alaskan in Alaska --- and nobody can shoot an Alaskan fast due to its kick and kick does not directly equate to velocity. I'm sorry, but I see the Alaskan as a pure novelty just like the Rossi Ranch Hand mare's-leg is.
It is not my intent to rain on the novelty of the Alaskan, and I certainly do not want to offend, as I just want to make it clear since it could be a life altering mistake for a novice to think that the Alaskan is suitable for Alaska, as it would be on the bottom of my list when my life is at stake.
Lastly, never forget hand placement with a Casull revolver as the cylinder gap is dangerous to the digits. I say this because the extreem kick causes people to hold funny.

Last edited:

Radny97

1G2many thanks for the insight. I have looked at the Alaskan many times as part of an upcoming Alaska trip. I'll be rethinking that now in light of your experience.
P.S. I want your life. :) It sounds like a lot of fun.

Pond James Pond

Some often decry the use of something like the .454 in a snub stating how so much of the velocity is leached from the cartridge's potential and thus wasted, but I tell you what... when I look at the figures for a 2" barrel and compare them to what my .44Mag manages with a 4" barrel you get an idea of how powerful the .454 Casull actually is!!

300gn at 1450fps to my Redhawk's 1200fps (max I could get might be about 1250-300fps TOPS!!).

Insane!

Radny97

Yes the Alaskan is a very potent snubby. I think the post above does make a good point though. Shooting it without ear protection might end your sense of hearing. Same issue with shooting a 357 mag snubby in an enclosed space, but worse.