454 Barrel length

Bacchus

I'm currently looking at Taurus' 454 Raging Bull. They have barrel lengths of 5" and 61/2". As I see it, the 61/2" has an advantage because Taurus has a scope mount available for it. The gun would be used mostly for 45 LC. I would reload both calibers if possible, probably with 300 gr loads.

I don't hunt, but might in the future.
Which barrel length would you suggest?

Steve Smith

Unless you shoot silhouette, I suggest you forget the .454 altogether and get a good strong .45 Colt. The .454 is unnecessary so often, and so expensive, you will wonder why you ever got it. (voice of experience) Besides, that DA frame and the weight of the "Ragging" Bull are too much.

Get yourself a Ruger single action in .45 Colt, preferrably with the Bisley grip frame. 5.5"-6.5" barrel. You'll like it, and its much lighter.

Red Label

I bought my Taurus M44's for mostly backpacking. So I wanted a very small, lightweight and easy to use revolver. The first was a snubbie at 2 1/2" and has no porting. It is also a double-action-only version and has fixed sights. So all I have to do is to pull out this beast and start pulling the trigger should I be jumped by a griz. Having said all of that, I usually pack my 4" bbl M44 with porting, adjustable sights, and single/double action. It's bigger, weighs more, and has a hammber to snag on my pack. But I can shoot it SO much more accurately and in control that it's worth it for me. So the old me would have recommended the shorter version, but the wiser me suggests you get one as long as is comfortable for you to wear/shoot. You will shoot better with it. :)

Bacchus

I do plan to shoot it and I'm especially intrigued by the LC. But I don't particularly like SA revos, so that's why I was considering the Raging Bull.

In hunting situations, would most people put a scope on a handgun anyway?

Steve Smith

It seems to be a 50/50 mix on the scope issue.

If you are especially large handed, you may be fine with the DA grip frame. The weight will still be an issue for long walks in the woods, though. Reconsider the SA, at least.