450smc

MedicatedOne

OOPS..
The link didn't work as planned, but if you select from the menu on the left side of the Triton page, you can get the story and specs on the round. Sorry about that.
230gr @ 1150 and 165 @ 1450 sound pretty good to me. :)

MO :cool:

krept

Sure does sound good, but I've been waiting for it to come out since June? I guess Triton was having delays with the subcontractors making the brass or something to that effect.

If I can shoot one of these SMCs out of my USP .45 by just swapping the main recoil spring, I'd be set for carry in the woods. Can't wait till we start getting reviews on this stuff...

I'm wondering if, due to the new case design, reloaders could even push those velocities a little higher, but safely.

Charmedlyfe

Krept,

If it comes out, you needn't swap springs. The USP45f will handle the 450SMC/45Super out of the box. That is, if it ever comes out.....:rolleyes:

MedicatedOne

SMC means....

I have no idea, since it is not out, I may have to look into the 45super, since it is not out. :(
Thanks for all the input.
BTW, what weight of spring would I need for my Sig 220, to handle the 45super???

Thanks,
MO

krept

I heard a 22-24# spring was good for the USP - "just in case." Might be the same for the SIG? I'd like to hear of range reports and equipment used before I try it.

IIRC, SMC = Small Magnum Cartridge

I just gave Triton a ring at 1-800-861-3362 ... got an answering machine, but it was pretty close to the end of their business hours. Hope everything is OK with them, they seem like a good group of people. Love thier ammo.

Charmedlyfe

Krept,

SMC=Short Magnum Cartridge (per Triton).

Also, the heaviest thing around for the USP is a 16# main RCL. The 22-24# is for the 1911-style, and I'll stick with my 28# for the 45Super/ 450SMC loads in those. The recoil buffer built into the USP handles what the main RCL doesn't.

I wouldn't shoot the 45Super in the 220s. Even with heavier springs, they just aren't designed for that load.

krept

Yes, "Short," thanks.

For some reason, I thought that Wolff sold heavier recoil springs for the USP. But I think you are right, it wouldn't matter as the smaller spring is certainly a tough one. Didn't think about that.

I know people have shot the Super in their stock USPs with no problemo, but I'll need to relook at the SMC specs vs those of the Super before I feed it in my USP. 450 SMC just sounds punishing. Part of me wishes Triton didn't get the dirty end of the stick on the Super deal, but I guess if they didn't then the SMC would have never come about.

Coronach

OK, so it is less hard on the gun (with appropriate recoil springs) and is more powerful? Is this a free lunch, or what?

Mike

alaska1993

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I've never been real keen on the "cartridge of the month". 356 TSW, 38 AMU, 400 Corbon, 40 Super, etc...come to mind. The biggest problem of course is ammunition is difficult to find and very expensive. If you can reload, great. Otherwise, it's just an expensive novelty. Most folks can afford a box or two to familiarize and possibly take hunting but not to purchase enough ammo to become very efficient. For me, I'll stick with 45 ACP at $6.90 per box (Wolf) and practice, practice, practic. :D

krept

Per the forum on Glocktalk dealing with caliber issues...

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=50401

Dan C. Johnson - Hi Dan. I did get your message on the voice mail about the .450 SMC article. I have your phone number from the message and planned on calling you. We have been extremely busy right now. One of the things we have to upgrade is our voice mail system. Limited mailbox space makes life hard trying to keep up. Sometimes we have to either handle phone calls or make ammo. Right now we have been focusing on making ammo.

To All... Triton Ammunition Corporation will be releasing a press release in the next few days that will address many rumors floating about. There are many positive things happening at Triton that I look forward to sharing with everyone. For those that use our ammunition, thank you for your continued support. For those that don't, try it. I think you'll like it.

Good stuff, I'm glad to know they are OK :D.