4506-1

18DAI

I posted something about this over on the S&W forum,does anyone have any details about a batch or batches of 4506 pistols,being produced after the official end of production in 1999? So far as I can tell ,they were produced for LAPD who then cancelled all or part of the order,after they were completed. I am trying to find out what (if any) features identify these 4506's from all others. Thanks in advance to those with info. 18DAI.

Te Anau

Ive heard this story before also but don't have an answer for you.Call S&W and ask them,theyr'e nice when you call.

Remus1066

18DAI I can verify that Lew Hortn had a run of 4506-3. Last summer because I picked one up. I can't tell you the difference between a -03 and a -01. It came with 3 mags and night sites. I still have not fired it because I came across a used one that is an -01 a couple of weeks before finding the new 4506. The price was also a steal I got it for $600. Check the Lew Horton site you might get lucky and they have another order that is left over.

Patrolman175

Just purchased a 4506-3 also, was an over run for a large Law Enforcement Agency, it is new unfired, now I have THREE 4506's!!!

if i remember correctly the difference in several of that generation of smiths 45 was in the slide and barrell and sights. i dont remember all the model numbers but the full size 45[the 4506] the commander and officers length models all used the same frame. so any differences will be found in the slide and barrels.

i think you questions are to determine if there was actually a run of 4506s that are a rare variant. i guess a call to smith historians will be the way to go.

18DAI

Back in 2005 when I posted this question, I'd only seen a photo of the 4506-3. I've since owned one, and it was a great pistol. I went on to trade it for a 4516-3, another underated 45.

Thanks to all who responded......then and now. Regards 18DAI.