.450 Bushmaster tips?

Chaparral

I just purchased a .450 Bushmaster in the AR type. Just wanted to see if anyone had any reloading experiences, tips, advice, recipes, etc. Thank you.

GeauxTide

I've still got some Hornady factory 250s left, which shoot into one 3/4" hole. Get Hornady X, Hornady dies, a can of Lil'Gun, some 250 FTX bullets, and you're set. Other than the accuracy, the recoil compares to a 20ga pump. I absolutely love mine.

dahermit

"I've still got some Hornady factory 250s left, which shoot into one 3/4" hole." How many shots, at what distance?

reynolds357

My advice is don't reload for it. Hornaday puts voodoo or something on the factory loads. They are tack drivers. I can usually find them for less than $20 per box. Using the same bullet, I can't load them any cheaper.

TX Nimrod

Where do you “usually find them”, even at CTD they’re over $28/box plus shipping.....almost $32/box at Midway.

AgedWarrior

I get excellent results using Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ 250 grain with 35.5 Lil Gun. C.O.L. is 2.250. Yes, they are smoke pole bullets; obviously just toss the sabots. They are .451, work great in my Ruger American Ranch. Slightly under 1” at 100.

reynolds357

I bought a pile of them from Midway and Palmetto State for under $20 per box about a year and a half ago. At $30 a box I would definitely reload.
I just looked at Midway. It looks like the ammo has been renamed "black". Guess that black box is worth $11.

DockRock

I have shot the Hornady FTX in an 18" carbine chambered in 454 Casull to about the same velocity as the 450 BM (@2200) and had explosions and poor penetration twice in hogs and once on a deer. No longer use them for hunting. The Barnes 275 grs TSX however has been fantastic on hogs. All shots under 100 yards, most under 50, have shot six hogs with Barnes at just over 2050 fps and all but one have been through and through, destroying heart and lungs or breaking spine in the neck. The one recovered was a bad shoulder shot found up against hide in the off shoulder. Looked like a commercial. Almost perfect flower with only one and a half petals broken off. Very impressed with that bullet.

TX Nimrod

I bought a pile of them from Midway and Palmetto State for under $20 a box about a year and a half ago...

Good for you, but that is hardly “usually finding them...” More like a one-time close out.

Chaparral

I get excellent results using Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ 250 grain with 35.5 Lil Gun. C.O.L. is 2.250. Yes, they are smoke pole bullets; obviously just toss the sabots. They are .451, work great in my Ruger American Ranch. Slightly under 1” at 100.
I've also heard that if you are shooting this round out of an AR platform it is best to double crimp. Does anyone know anything about this? Thx

shuvelrider

Around here in West Michigan, your looking at 30-35 dollars a box for the Hornady Black Box. I have the Ruger Scout Rifle and have been working on reloading for it, been experimenting with H110 and Accur 1680 and the 250 gr ftx Hornady bullet. Leaning towards H110 from my test results, made some more after adjusting the powder weight. Hopefully I can shoot them this weekend

shuvelrider

Targa, your similar to my recipe. They roar out of the Ruger Scout with that compensater on the barrel, a decent fireball also. Trying to find some more info on .45 acp bullet, 230 gr to load into the .450 cases. Checked the recipe in the Lee Book with Accur 1680, nearly filled the case with starting grain weight.

fourbore

I've also heard that if you are shooting this round out of an AR platform it is best to double crimp. Does anyone know anything about this? Thx
Be careful! the round headspaces on the rim so crimping may not what you are used to. I dont reload this. If I did, I would expect the sizer to set some heavy neck tension, no crimp. Obviously watch your case length. It is all a little to critical for me. But, dont let my nervous scare you off.