.45 Super & .45 ACP

sks

What is the major difference between the .45 Super and the .45 ACP? Also, can either one be used in a standard .45 ACP auto pistol or is the .45 Super made for a special gun?

Yanus

The super is a wildcat. The bullet is
the same as .45 acp. The case has been
lengthened hence you need a barrel chambered
for it. My suggestion is stay with the
.45 acp. My personal opinion is that it is
a "wonderful solution to a non-existent
problem".

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"

Futo Inu

Not really. The case is the same length (same external dimesions as acp), but it's a THICKER case, and the .45 Super round should be fired ONLY in firearms specifically made (or converted) to handle the round, and showing such with a marking on the barrel. This is because, due to higher pressures, some standard .45 acp guns can handle it, but some cannot safely handle. Therefore, better safe than sorry. I find the 45 super to be very interesting personally.

Desert Dog

And .45 Super brass is stellar for .45ACP reloads...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Desert Dog

Yanus,

You must be thinking of the .45 Win. magnum. It is simply a .45ACP with a longer case. Through the Automag pistol chambered for it, the .45 Win. magnum pushes a 230 FMJ bullet at 1600 FPS...

The equivalent .45 Super is "only" 1250 FPS.

Lots of knockdown power...

My 7 rounds of .45 Super is equal to 15 rounds of 9X19, if I do my part...

------------------

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

WalterGAII

I use .45 Super brass for forming into .400 Cor-Bon. Now I think that I've been wasting my $$ and time, as .400 Cor-Bon brass weighs more than .45 Super brass, so I doubt if the .45 Super brass is any stronger.

Fred J. Drumheller

Retired Screen Name
Any good 1911 can be converted to .45 Super for about $8! Assuming that you're using factory loads (Triton, for instance.) all you need do is replace the recoil spring. www.realguns.com (click on "Archives")recommends the Wolfe 28# spring from a 10mm 1911. Wolfe now offers a 32# spring especially for the .45 Super.

YOU MUST USE .45 SUPER CASES!!! See Starline.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

F

freedomlover

Fred, you answered my question before I had a chance to answer it. Was wondering if I could convert my 1911 to .45 Super with just a recoil spring change. I guess Shok-Buffs wouldn't hurt either...
Very interested in trying this out. Anybody know where I can pick up some reasonably-priced .45 Super ammo? Loaded ammo, that is, not the brass...
Shoot straight

freedomlover

------------------

OTISZ

As for ammo get Triton, it is the best, and it is reasonably priced. You can get it from their site on the web.
It takes more that a new recoil spring to convert to >45Super. You need at the very least, one of the recoil reducing spring set ups like the ones from Springco(also on the web). You may also need to blunt the fireing pin alittle so you do not pierce the primers. Extra power magazine springs would not hurt either, as the slide cycle is faster. This is how I converted my Colt Govt Mod. to .45 Super. Just adding a styronger recoil spring will batter the hell out of your frame. Very hard on the gun. Ace Custom out of Texas sells a conversion kit also. They really developed the round and guns to handle it. I hope this helps.
:cool:

MrBlonde

The major differnce between the .45acp and the .45super is the .45super has a wider shell casing then the acp. I odnt know the width or anything. The .45super was designed to handle hotter loads. Also, you can fire .45acp in .45super guns, but not vice versa. Oh yeah, its the shell casing, thats thicker, its not any longer then the acp.

sks

So are we saying here that it's about like shooting .38s in a .357 but that you can't do the reverse? If that is so then how can you convert a 1911 by just changing the spring? My .45 is the P220 and I was basically curious as to whether it would go both ways.

How 'bout another question related to .45 while I've got you all here. Can you shoot .45 ACP in a .45 Colt revolver?

Thanks for all of the tips, info and just plain "stuff".

WalterGAII

Mr. Blonde: You speaks with such authority on a subject about which you are incorrect. The external dimensions of .45 Super is exactly the same as .45 ACP. It's the internal dimensions that are different, ergo, less case capacity.

Phil

While we're on the subject of .45 Super, is it ok to shoot .45 Super out of a Ruger Blackhawk (with the .45acp conversion cylinder of course)?

Various sources indicate that 30,000 to 32,000 to 34,000 CUP is ok in the .45 Colt Blackhawk. Since the CUP for .45 Super is 28,000 (or is it 28,500?) it would seem ok to fire it out of the Blackhawk unless the .45 acp cylinder is substantially weaker than the .45 Colt cylinder.

Anybody know? Thanks.

Desert Dog

Yes, it is safe to shoot in a convertible Blackhawk. Peak pressure for .45 Super is 28,000 psi. The .45 Blackhawk is good to about 35,000 psi.

I personally want 7.5" Redhawk convertible, .45colt/.45ACP... Now THAT would be great fun.

------------------

EQUALIZER

Walter is right. The external dimensions are the same. The brass is beefier to handle the higher pressure.

One that I plan to try out in the near future is a 1911 that can handle 45 SUPER 200gr at 400 fps that only needs a 17 1/2 pound recoil spring and is supposed to be reliable and relatively soft shooting. I wouldn't shooting any SUPER loads through a standard barrel with a spring any lighter than 28 pounds, preferably higher. John Adkins makes them on your own gun and I want to check out a couple that he already has as soon as I get the chance. Will post results here. It should be interesting if knowthing else.

The 45 SUPER makes the 1911 extremely versitile. I think it would be very useful for hunting medium sized game and for defense. It brings the ACP up to a level that makes it humane for hunting whitetail. That's one of the big reasons that I'm considering one too.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited April 12, 2000).]

Phil

Thanks DD. I've got a convertable, 5.5" Blackhawk on order. Hopefully I'll have both my permit and the gun by Saturday.