45 Ruger

LAH

Took the 45 out for a while today. May use it come doe season.

Have several hundred 265 Keiths loaded with 8 grains of Unique. This is a 1973 Blackhawk converted to Bisley. Never fired this load in the sixgun so I shot it first at 16 yards offhand. The smaller holes are from a 30-30.

Next I moved back to 40 yards & shot from the bed rail of my truck. Not much of a rest but it is what it is as Miss Barbara says.

40 yard plate

The group.

Colt46

You really cannot get a better bullet than that

Even at moderate velocity it will give all the straight line penetration you could want on deer.

LAH

This sixgun is easy to shoot, great trigger. The only thing lacking is me. I need to widen the rear sight notch to let a little more light in.

Hunter Customs

It looks like your cast bullets are shooting well, nice shooting.

I also plan on deer hunting this year with a 45 Colt cartridge however I'm shooting 255 gr SWC cast bullets at 950 fps from a Cimarron Uberti with 4 3/4 inch barrel.

As for opening up your rear sight notch, if your front sight blade is pinned you might find it easier to remove it and narrow it down some.
I also like to notch the top of the front sight blade then polish up the face of the tip so it's like looking at a silver bead.

Good luck on your deer hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited:

LAH

The front sight is internal with the base so it's easiest to simply file out the rear blade.

Ok, I'll say it before you get inundated with it:
Where/what is the backstop behind the target?

Not sure what you're asking? The target is hanging on a well used stump. If you're asking: Is this a safe place to shoot you should just ask. 40 feet behind that stump is a vertical cliff of sand-rock probably 70 feet high. Behind the cliff is somewhere between 3 or 4 miles of hardwood timber which no one in their right mind would be in while the snakes are still out.

hornetguy

oh, crap, the ethics police are out again...:rolleyes:

seriously, that's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I've had two different 7 1/2" Blackhawks in .45, and both were excellent shooters.
I really like that you changed out the frame for the Bisley style... I've always wondered if they just interchange.

It's also nice to know that while your load will very likely do splendidly against just about any critter you're likely to meet in the lower 48, you can also load up some loads that will curl your hair, and that Blackhawk will just grin at you.
Great gun!

jeager106

Your shooting is very good.
I have a Bisley B.H. & a Vaquero, old style, both in .45 Colt.
The .45 Colt is my favorite big bore handgun round.
I also have an as new in the box Smith 25-5 in 4" that I can't use for game as Ohio says barrel must be at least 5".
My Bisley B.H or Vaquero qualify.

LAH

you can also load up some loads that will curl your hair, and that Blackhawk will just grin at you.

Well that 45 will sure enough take some big loads but as of yet its failed to curl my hair.

lamarw

In a lot of places in Mississippi and Alabama, the backstop is about 7,000 acres of woods. At least it is that way behind my place to include a large 400 ft. high hill. I personally usually select a large oak tree with a vast trunk to tack my 8" paper plate.

You often times can't get the deer to stand in front of a back stop either while hunting. :)