.45 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotchMan

Hi all,
Looking for recommendations for a good semi-auto .45. I'll tell you a little about what I'm looking for.

Expecting my pistol permit to come within the next month or so (don't get me started on NYS law). I am very interested in having a revolver, but also accept I won't be happy without at least one autoloader as well. My plan thus far has been to get a .357 Mag revolver, S&W 686 or Ruger GP100, and the plan for the semi-auto has been a cheap to shoot 9mm. At the top of the list has been a Ruger SR9c or Walther PPQ/PPS. I prefer smaller, concealable guns.

I also live in NYS, where the assault weapons ban is alive and well. This means we can't have anything that can hold more than 10 rounds. While many people have full-size guns capable of accepting 17+ round magazines, and use 10 round mags, this bothers my engineer brain the same way governing the speed of a performance automobile does. So I'd prefer not having to "neuter" whatever I buy with special magazines for my wonderful state.

Finally, I see the appeal in stocking one kind of ammunition for both guns. So, this brings me to a .45. I get a S&W 625 in .45 ACP with moon clips. Then I get a semi-auto that won't take more than 10 rounds to begin with, because that is the normal capacity in many models. But the autoloader choices I'd narrowed down to, Ruger SR9, and the Walthers, aren't available in .45

Please note I am not interested in 1911s, and I'm more than familiar with how great Glock is, and am looking for something else. If I can't find a better alternative I will probably end up with a Glock 30. Right now the Beretta PX4 Storm is at the top of the list, but I've never read anything about them in .45.

tl;dr
Recommend me a good, .45 ACP autoloader. Not interested in 1911 or Glocks, money is no object, and I prefer concealable guns with a 10 round (or less) capacity. Interested in feedback on PX4 Storm in .45 ACP.

wnycollector

Another vote for the SIG P220. If you get an aluminum framed P220 plus a good holster and belt it makes a great CCW. I have a West German made P220 and it is the most accurate handgun I own.

Another full sized .45 to look at (especially if you have large hands) is the CZ-97. It holds 10+1 and is very accurate albeit fairly heavy to carry.

NWCP

Take a good look at the HK45. I have the HK45 Compact and really enjoy it for concealed carry, but a lot of shooters prefer the full size HK45 with its longer sight radius. They are worth consideration IMHO. :D

CWKahrFan

Last edited:

ScotchMan

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The SIG will definitely be on the list to check out. I do hate the looks of those grips though, with the big screws showing.

I definitely trend towards smaller designs...the 10 round capacity is a maximum (so I can pretend I'm not being unjustly limited by my state legislation), not a requirement. A 6 or 7 round mag is fine. If/when I do carry it, it will be competing with an S&W 342.

As long as the Glock 36 has been mentioned, is there an appreciable reason to choose it over the Glock 30? Sure it's a tiny bit heavier and thicker, but is it that much harder to conceal?

WildBill45

325 is better for carry...

You may consider a S&W 325 if you are going to actually carry it, and Glock, or M&P models for the auto, although the FN with the 10 round magazine looks good as well.

18DAI

S&W 4513TSW. Accurate, light weight, bet your life reliable and looks good doing all that. Regards 18DAI.

AustinTX

Right now the Beretta PX4 Storm is at the top of the list, but I've never read anything about them in .45.

They're as good in .45 as they are in 9mm and .40. Which is to say they're awesome. Very underappreciated guns (except by those who own them and/or have shot them), but they're terrific. Superb build quality and fit and finish, very accurate, totally reliable. The rotating-barrel action makes the PX4, in my opinion, the softest-shooting polymer service pistol in each of its respective calibers, but most notably in .40 and .45.

The PX4 doesn't take a backseat to any of the other polymer service pistols in overall quality, as far as I'm concerned, and it's an outstanding value at its price.

Here are some links to reviews of the PX4 in general by some very happy owners; I believe there are a few .45 owners in there, though it's definitely the least common caliber for the PX4:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450277
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450556
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451584
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282336
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295243
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330657

Last edited:

tjhands

As long as the Glock 36 has been mentioned, is there an appreciable reason to choose it over the Glock 30? Sure it's a tiny bit heavier and thicker, but is it that much harder to conceal?

The G30 is more than a tiny bit heavier than the G36, and yes, it is quite a different animal for concealment as well - the G30 is a pretty chunky little gun and many folks balk at carrying it.

You should know, however, that the G36 is the most complained-about model that Glock makes. Whether it's deserved ot not, the G36 has the most complaints with reliability. The G30 is the exact opposite: verrrrry few problems are ever voiced about it and, for whatever reason, a great many Glock shooters consider the G30 to be the model that they shoot most accurately.

If you really don't want a Glock, you might like a S&W M&P45 Compact. Good gun with a very decent reputation.

vyse.04

As long as the Glock 36 has been mentioned, is there an appreciable reason to choose it over the Glock 30?

Personally, I do not really care for any of the Glocks with the exception of the 36. For me it is the perfect compact .45, and it shoots just about as well as some of the mid sized .45s. I have shot them back to back, and prefer the 36, but everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.