.45 Rails/Lights

mes228

Does anyone else dislike rail/lights on .45's? Personally, I can't think of any one thing a person could do to ruin a .45 for real use more than hang a weight on the end. Not to mention a target to shoot at. For some police it may make sense when searching for a felon after he flees. But they have back up, multiple avenues of help ie radios, dogs, partners to return fire etc.etc. A citizen has nothing but vigilance, speed, accuracy and himself, in tough spot. From what I read, most shoot outs are at 5 or so feet and happen quickly.The entire concept of a 1911 is a tool for quick self defense. The 1911 major assets for defense is balance, speed, pointability & quick use. Seems to me bulky weight on the end reduces every element of use. Carrying a light is probably a good thing, but hanging it on your pistol seems the wrong thing to do. This is just my opinion. By the way, I always felt scopes on 30-30's or even the Browning BLR ruined the handling of these fine rifles. I'm old and understand needing optics for precision shooting. But they sure handle different after adding a scope. So does a 1911 after adding a light, and the rail is just plain ugly. I don't think I'll ever put one on a pistol. Is this a "tactical" fad that will fade away. I hope so.

shooter71

i dont plan on using a 1911 for any kind of defense. but i agree the 1911s look better without a rail..

i plan on getting a laser/light for home defense . id much rather have that than to try and carry a flashlight. now for CCW a lasermax or crimson trace is the ticket. i mean you arent going to turn on the lights in your home and go room clearing if someone breaks in, clearing rooms are for tac teams and mulitple officers not the lone armed home owner.