.45 Race gun

Beacon Brass

Hi all,
I'm a old shooter but new to this forum thing, so pardon me is I don't recognize some of the shorthand used. Here are my questions if you don't mind.
I recently purchased a .45acp race gun, I think it was used for bowling pin matches. It is built on a Para-Ord frame with a Gold cup slide and has a compensated barrel. I would like to put this weapon, back to just a "Normal" 1911 double stack style firearm. The sight was removed or never installed on the Gold cup slide, the sight is on the compensator, and the compensator is screwed onto the threaded barrel and held there with an allen head screw and locktite. Does anyone know a reliable gunsmith that could install the front sight. I am willing to send it away, as I don't think there is anyone locally here in PRNJ (Peoples Republik of New Jersey:mad:) that would do it. Also could the threaded barrel be cut down (threads start after the barrel exits the slide) or would it be better to buy a new barrel and bushing. I believe the present barrel is a fairly high quality barrel. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BB

Jim Watson

This would be a straightforward gunsmithing job. My guy would make short work of it but he has cut way back on his workload and does not take mailorder jobs.

Heat compensator to melt Loctite, loosen set screw, remove compensator.
Cut and crown barrel to a pleasing length. Appearance will vary depending on whether the barrel retains a bushing or is a bull type fitted directly to the slide. Either will work.

A cross dovetail front sight in the slide would get you shooting. If the mortise in the Gold Cup slide has not been plugged, you could have a regular sight staked in but the dovetail will give you more choices in style and would be a stronger installation.

I don't know your application, but that would leave you with a good gun for USPSA Limited or L-10 and, if it has a barrel bushing, IDPA CDP or ESP. Maybe not the cutting edge, but very serviceable anyhow.

Beacon Brass

Jim,
Thanks for the reply, I want the weapon to be used as an occasional CCW (as clothing & weather permits). I am going to get a new trigger as this has a adjustable trigger and I tend to stay away ANYTHING adjustable on a CCW. The weapon does have a bushing so I could use it for competition, but I'm too old for that stuff. There is a spot for a staked front sight that has not been filled in. I guess a dovetail would be better. I bought a NIB XD45 4" but I'm really not very happy with it, shoots well enough,but feels really funny/weird in my hands, I've been using that for my CCW, but I'm really not comfortable with it. I'd like to have the job done locally, just don't know anyone. I need some references for a good smith. I'd rather not take my weapon to someone and hope for the best (if you know what I mean). The XD is better than nothing at the moment and you know the first rule of a gunfight....bring a gun!
BB

Hunter Customs

BB,
Going by what you described I would say yes the barrel can be cut down and crowned.
As for the front sight, as Jim said a transverse dovetail would be the best choice.
What type of rear sight does the gun have at this time?
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Beacon Brass

Bob,
It has an adjustable sight, at the moment I can't recall the manufacturer. It might even be a stock Gold Cup sight.
BB

JasonG

While this really doesn't meet the intent of your post, I just had to say it.
It sounds like you have a nice race gun.
Unless there is some sentimental value, sell it and use the $$$ to buy a 1911 that meets your needs for 2/3 the price of what the race gun should sell for.
Once you cut it down and turn it to a regular 1911 the value will go down signifigantly.
Just my $0.02

Beacon Brass

JasonG,
Ah, to live in a state where you can buy what you want, when you want must be a beautiful thing. I live in NJ and tend to alter rather then buy again, do to the complications and waiting periods involved in purchasing another handgun. I applied in the beginning of Jan. for 4 handgun permits, I received them the middle of Mar. April I applied for another an received it in June. Each time you apply whether it was two days ago, two weeks ago or two years ago a complete backround check is performed to include mental health & the requester must provide two references and they are contacted each time,even if it is the same references as two weeks ago! Forget about buying something on sale, unless you have a very friendly dealer that will hold a handgun until your permit comes in. Most dealers would like their money sooner then that. Especially if they do not know you as you may not get your permit. We also have NO gun shows, as that is also illegal, firearms sales must be conducted in your bricks and mortar place of business. Also starting in Jan2010 we will be restricted to purchasing "One Handgun a Month" So in my opinion I'd rather alter the weapon I have then try to purchase another. And I like the feel of the race gun, just don't like the compensator and the front sight, it is built on a Para double stack P-14 frame, and I have big hands so it fits well. Sorry about being so long winded but I thought I would give you a complete explanation. BB

Jim Watson

I doubt Jason's approach would go very far anyhow.
An iron sighted compensated .45 is not a competitive piece of IPSC equipment any more and its resale value in a free market is not great. Not a very racy race gun.
Fix it up to suit yourself.

dreamweaver

about the barrel, i wouldn't cut it. just get a new (or used) barrel and pop it in. save the compensated barrel for possible future use, or just sell it.
for the front sight, give Fusion a call. they did dovetail sights for me on a .40cal 1911 i built.

Dreamweaver,

If this was a pin gun, the barrel is likely fitted to the gun, and if he wants to maintain the added accuracy that achieves, it'll be far less work just to cut and crown than it is to install and fit a new barrel and matched bushing. It won't take twenty minutes to do the cut and crown on a lathe, and most of that time will just be spent indicating center. Plus, he can send the barrel and slide and bushing anywhere in the country at ground rate to get the work done, where sending the frame along for barrel fitting would require two-way overnight air expenses. That can add up to more than the cut and crown fees pretty easily.

BB,

That "adjustable" trigger just has an overtravel stop screw in it. I find that, properly adjusted, those make it easier to avoid disturbing the sights at the shot break. I've owned a good dozen or so triggers with those and never had one work loose or heard anyone on the line complain that theirs had. In any event, you can insure that with Loctite. If you have the opportunity, you may want to drop a plain trigger in and compare the feel before you abandon it?

Check on your rear sight. If it's a Goldcup Eliason sight, you are much more likely to have an issue with it than with the overtravel screw in the trigger. I have seen a couple of kinds of failures in those sights. If you have the solid elevation pivot pin, those can work their way out and should be replaced by a roll pin. I've seen the pin in the elevation screw detent come out on a couple of guns (always during a match, of course). If you got a good one, properly fitted, it will be fine, but you want to keep an eye on those parts for signs of trouble.

Last edited:

Beacon Brass

Thanks for all the info. I found someone to cut & crown the barrel and he is also
going to cut the dovetail & install a new front sight. The adjustable rear sight is a millet which will be removed and replaced with an Eliason rear (due to height).
It doesn't have an adjustable trigger, I was mistaken, the other 1911 has the adjustable trigger. I wasn't worried about the setscrew working loose, it was more a worry about junk getting in the area of adjustment (if you understand what I mean) and blocking trigger pull, This will be a CCW weapon and I want it to go bang if I need it to. I guess I'm to paranoid but I don't like adjust-ability on a CCW weapon, I would even prefer fixed sights as well, but it has a Gold Cup slide.
BB