45 Minie mold question

okiefarmer

I own a 45 BP long rifle, JUKAR kit gun at one time I am sure. Have not had a chance to fire it yet, but am watching for a mold for it. Would rather shoot the conicals than balls, just a personal thing.

One on auction is a 45 cal, 280 grain minie, but it states it is a .445, suitable for the Hopkins and Allen guns. I am not that well versed in the different makes, but assumed the H&A was a 45, never heard of a 44 rifle. Is this a bit small in diameter for my 45? And why is there a difference? I think I have noticed most of the LEE moulds are .450 and the oversize is .454.

Need some 'splainin' on this one fer sure.

Thanks guys,
Okie out

arcticap

The original Numrich H&A .45 rifles have a tighter bore than other .45's because their bore is measured groove to groove instead of land to land. That's why Dixie references loading their barrels with .433 patched round balls and not .440's, and many shooters will confirm their relatively tighter bores.
It's sort of an oddity that's an exception to the standard .45 caliber rule, and I have an old Numrich H&A Buggy Rifle that's like this.
It will probably be a little small for your Jukar unless there's a way to paper patch the minnie to fit? :D

Steve499

It's always sort of a gamble when you buy a mold, even if it should be the right one. I would probably go ahead and buy it if it wasn't too high. If your bore is .450, you might get a hollow based minie of .445 to flare the skirt enough to work, possibly. I don't think I can have too many molds, though, kinda like some women are with shoes. But, you might GET a Hopkins and Allen next week and really, really need a mold for it.

Steve