45 "Long Colts" who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarFBear

I've a real hankering for another 45 Long Colt. I've reloaded several hundred rounds (really enjoy reloading). But, checked the safe and only have one 45 L/C, a fine Pietta S/A with an extra 45 acp cylinder. I know about the Rugers. But what other manufacturer has a decent 45 L/C? I think I would prefer a "traditional" swing out revolver. Now that my hands and wrists have some age on them, a 44 magnum leaves me a little "shaken". The 45 L/C seems to be a fine substitute. It sure cleaned up the streets of Dodge City, Tombstone and Leadville with no problem.

Hey Veterans, don't forget to ask for your discount when shopping. I find more and more places that offer a discount. I like that courtesy.

TfflHndn

You have the Governor and Judge style 410/.45 Colt that have the swing-out cylinders. I have the Judge and it's a good gun. My other .45 Colts are all single-action, removable cylinder models, so I am no help on other swing-outs. Good luck, I'm sure someone else here will help.

lamarw

You can get the S&W Model 25 in .45 Colt. There maybe others in the S&W line up. You can also look for used revolvers in .45 Colt.

I have a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt; although I do not think S&W still make them.

T. O'Heir

.45 Long Colt is the same thing as .45 Colt. What's your budget?
Ruger makes their Redhawk and Super Redhawk(.454 Casull but that shoots the Colt too.). And the Smith 25 lamarw mentions. Uberti and Pietta are SAA copies.

smee78

I love my Ruger Blackhawks/Vaqueros but for double action I went with a S&W 25 & 625MG. Of the two the 625 Mountain gun is my favorite, it has a 4" half undercut barrel and mine sports a set of Ahrends grips. I love the 45Colt round so much I got a Marlin 1894 lever gun to round out the collection.

I also love my Redhawk Hunter with its 7 1/2 barrel, takes any load out there.

SaxonPig

I can only speak from experience on what I own. S&W makes 45 colt DA revolvers. Mine is an older 25-5 from 1980 with a pinned barrel.

standard.jpg

Seems to shoot OK...

standard.jpg

The traditional Colt Single Action Army is pretty pricey these days but great fun to shoot. This is of course THE original 45 colt. Below is a 1971 2nd G with a 5.5" barrel.

standard.jpg

Next is a 7.5" 1961 2nd G.

standard.jpg

rclark

I of course like my Single Actions for .45 Colt, but I think Ruger also makes a .45 Colt RedHawk (DA). Seems Like Lipseys (or one of the Distributors) make a special run recently.

"traditional" swing out revolver
Traditional? <raise eyebrows> ... Really? The SA is 'traditional :) . New fangled is the swing out cylinder guns. Ha!

DaleA

And of course if you want to go the 'crew served' handgun route there is the S&W .460 magnum that will fire the .45 Colt in addition to the .460 magnum and the .454 Casull.

It will be my personal handgun of choice once I save up enough to employ a full time gun bearer.

Howdy

This terrific old Colt New Service is chambered for 45 Colt, but you might have trouble finding one. I forget exactly when this one was made, but it was before World War One.

New%20Service%2006_zpsgoej3c3o.jpg

kcub

Get a 3rd gen Colt in 45 Colt. And make it a long Colt, with 7&1/2" barrel. The shorter ones kick though you can shoot milder 45 Schofield in them.

Unless you want a really long Colt, a buntline.

lewwallace

45 Lc

Here ya go! 25-11, Heritage series, 2001! Put on a bigger set of Grashon white elk horn RB grips and fits comfortably in my smaller hands. They're out there. Found this one @Cabela's in CO!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-23-08-27-19-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-23-08-27-19-1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 63

Kosh75287

Look around for a used Red Hawk in .45 Colt. Mine's a pleasure to shoot, whether with factory or "+P+" loads in it. I think Ruger also currently makes a Red Hawk in .45 Colt, but the barrel is only 4.2" long. You might also consider a Rossi 1892 carbine in .45 Colt. Good companion for your single action.

cjwils

You can occasionally find good examples of the Colt New Service in cal. 45 Colt at various auction houses or on Gunbroker.com. The New Service is a classic example of a swing out revolver. They come in several barrel lengths. Good ones are not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.