.45 Long Colt FMJ?

IanS

Why have they stopped producing this round with a Full Metal Jacket or at least partially jacketed? I realize the majority of .45LC shooters are Cowboy Action Shooters but why is this round in fmj impossible to find?

I don't like excessive lead exposure but I like shooting .45LC

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
I recently saw some Winchester Silvertip JHP in .45 Colt. I think it was a 200 gr bullet, but it may have been 225. Didn't pay much attention, because I have no use for lightweight .45 Colt bullets. I see no point in loading down the .45 Colt so that it is not even as powerful as .45 ACP. I have smaller, lighter, pistols that will shoot .45 auto.

I handloaded some 230 FMJ in .45 Colt some decades ago, just for fun. I have NEVER seen a factory-loaded FMJ round for .45 Colt. And I like the cartridge, so I tend to pay attention to the various offerings, even if I don't buy 'em.

Oh, yes--I read about some special, pre-fragmented ammo, akin to the Glaser Safety slug, but these were lighter still.

Best,
Johnny

Doc Hudson

Jacketed .45 LC loads are not hard to find, but like Johnny Quest, I have never seen or heard of factory loaded FMJ ammunition.

I think the reason for no FMJ .45 LC ammo is that it ceased being a military round before the Hague Conventions limiting Military Ammunition to FMJ designs were signed.

Besides, it strikes me as being not very effective, and over penetrative.

Doc Hudson

Bob C

I also like the .45 Colt, and I usually shoot indoors, so lead is a concern of mine.

I use a lot of the NBC plated bullets. Ease of loading is comparable to other cast bullets, the cost isn't bad, and accuracy is OK. I order them online, and the service has been excellent.

http://www.nationalbullet.com

[Edited by Bob C on 05-19-2001 at 12:31 PM]

Cosmoline

Why no .45 Colt FMJ? I suspect it's because FMJ's and tube mags on lever action weapons are a very bad combo. I find I get less lead on my hands when I use hardcast alloy bullets from Western Nevada Bullets or Oregon Trail.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Taper Crimp on .45 Colt?

REast--
I suppose you could use a .45 ACP taper crimp die to do that to a .45 Colt case, if you wished. Why not just use the standard revolver crimp? If you're using a true jacketed bullet, you just don't turn it down as far as you would for a lead bullet. When using a plated bullet, you can use a pretty heavy roll cimp, and it merely turns in and forms its own cannalure.

The plating prevents direct contact of lead with bore, and it works pretty well, but it is thin, and not particularly hard.

Ian1--
Please tell me--this excessive lead exposure you mention, is it during the loading process, or in shooting the unjacketed bullets?

Lead exposure may be radically reduced during handloading operations by use of a table fan, and by careful hand washing after handling bullets. Better still, any large pharmacy or discount store should sell you a box of disposable patex gloves for a nominal fee.

As for exposure during shooting lead bullets, most sources I've read or heard feel this is nearly a non-problem on outdoor ranges. And most indoor ranges built in the last 15 years are well-enough ventilated to protect you.

[Edited by Johnny Guest on 05-18-2001 at 09:51 PM]

IanS

JohnnyGuest,

I guess its a slight touch of paranoia mixed with the fact most of the indoor ranges I frequent only allow fully jacketed bullets. Also, I guess I'm so used to the slick cleaning qualities of modern automatics, cleaning lead out seems like a real chore.

I may go with a Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum since I can shoot both magnum loads and the .44 Special, although they aren't "real" cowboy rounds.

*I'm sure there's got to be a market, even a small one, for .45LC FMJs. I think there are plenty of people who'd like to occasionally shoot the cleaner firing FMJs.

RWK

Ian11

One non-lead .45 Long Colt load is currently available from http://www.ammoman.com -- 225 grain Winchester Silvertip hollow points at $99 for 200 rounds.

As you know, ammoman has an outstanding reputation and their prices are inclusive; no extra charges, such as shipping or credit card use fees.

Hope this helps. Regards.