.45 LC single shot

Double J

I took a look at the H&R 1871 adds. My eye is on a single shot in a common pistol caliber. Dealer tells me the .357 Mag barrels are no longer available, neither as complete rifles or accessory items. So I'm ordering a new NEF in the CR-45 LC model. Dealer says they'll be out around May. Any thoughts on how well the .45LC would do on small deer sized game, lets say 50-100 yards? The average buck only weighs about 140 lbs., does average under 100 where I'll be hunting. Hilly, wooded areas.

mikejonestkd

For the ranges you are talking about the .45 colt should do fine in a rifle. Probably not too much further though, energy and trajectory will drop fast after 100 yards with a flat point bullet.

If it can handle hotter loads then look at buffalo bore for ammo.

rem33

Majic The Handi-Rifle is still made in .44 magnum.

Unless you reload the 44 would be a much better choice IMO.
Not sure whats available lately but hot 45 LC in times past was not available. With Contenders and Rugers that may have changed. Do a little checking on what's available for hunting, if you haven't already.

Edward429451

Get the 45LC and reload WFN bullets for it. You could hunt anywhere in the lower 48, within your limits.

Reaming it to 454 would be interesting. You could shoot 454Casull or 45 Colt out of it.

jsflagstad

Ed,

I have some pretty stout loads for my 45LC in my Contender handgun. The 45LC barrel is on my short list for an accessory barrel for my NEF Handi Rifle. This would be a great one to ream to the 454 for the "Pistol Caliber Rifle Only" hunting zones with maybe a red dot or a 1-5x scope.

Bud Helms

.454 Casull - 60,000 psi

.45 Colt - 14,000 psi.

Modern high pressure .45 Colt loads, usually noted in handloading manuals as safe only in Rugers and Contenders, may approach 22,000 psi, but there is still a long way between that and the pressure exerted by a .454 Casull.

I know NEF single shot rifle barrels can be bought for bottle-necked rifle cartridges which give pressures in the .454 Casull range, (.243 etc.) but I do not know if their .45 Colt barrel is proofed to that level.

Caution is advised. As I searched the boards for other discussions on this, I ran across a phrase that may fit: Instantaneous Omnidirectional Disassembly.

jsflagstad

There are quite a few folks that have done the 454 ream and a few who have done the 460 ream.

I know that doesn't make it right, but it has been done. Also the rifle is offered in the 500 S&W on the same SB2 frame.

CraigC

I don't know about going all the way to the .454 or .460 but it is definitely strong enough for "Ruger only" loads. Possibly even so far as 50,000psi Redhawk-appropriate loads. Of course, if you handload, then there is no need to go to the .454 as everything you need can be accomplished with the .45Colt.

Bearing in mind that this thread is 2½ years old so I would assume the OP already made his choice.