.45 LC - Pyrodex RS (FFG equivalent) and 250 gr. XTP

orsogato

Hi all,

This might be a crazy question, but here goes. I have a nice supply of Hornady 250 gr. XTPs. I also have a nice supply of Pyrodex RS (FFG equivalent).

Does anybody know if this can be loaded together to drive these XTPs about 750 - 775 fps.? Most of the black-powder loads or BP eaquivalents I have seen are for non jacketed lead bullets.

Firearm is an old model Ruger Vaquero.

Thanks.

Uncle Buck

I loaded some for my .45 Colt and it was a hoot to shoot.

I was using lead SWC. Aren't the XTPs kinda pricey? (I guess when you shoot mostly lead, everything seems pricey.)

I would bet they would work and I would be willing to try it, especially with the old model Vaquero.

The biggest thing I was told to remember is to make sure there were no air spaces between the bullet and the black powder. I started off easy and used felt wads to take up the space and make sure the powder was compressed.

You might want to ask the guys over in the black powder section if you do not get an answer here.

orsogato

Yes. I had also read that the load must be compressed - at least with lead bullets. Logic would hold the same true for jacketed.

My thought was about 37 grains of the stuff or so, and seat the bullet. But I have seen no published data with the pyrodex & jacketed bullets.

Thanks.