.45 hollow points in a short barrel

DonutGuy

Wanting to know if anyone has links to tests or even personal experience with .45's out of a short barrel/subcompact handgun. I'm specifically looking at a 230grain Federal HST vs. a 200grain Speer GoldDot. I own both rounds but I'm not sure which one is better out of a 3.5 inch barrel.

BigJimP

You'll have to test your gun ... my buddy shoots Golden Sabres in his
3 1/2" 1911 ( springfield ) .... and in my 4" ( wilson combat) I shoot Hydra Shoks. Hydra Shoks run better in my gun / but they don't run as well in his 3 1/2". Hydra Shoks seem to run ok in his 3 1/2" ...and I had issues with Golden Sabres in my gun ???

We both use Wilson Combat mags ...so its not a mag issue / its a feed issue.

But feed issues is why I usually carry a 5" 1911 .. ( mine is another Wilson ) - and despite the fact that my 4" is a little smaller and a little lighter ...honestly, I thought I would, but I don't carry the 4" ...

If I don't feel like carrying a 5" 1911 / I go to a Sig 239 in .40S&W ...rather than trust a 3 1/2" or 4" gun ...

N.H. Yankee

I think Speer makes the Short barrel loads in their Gold Dot line for 45acp also. I have used them in 9mm and 40 and they worked very well as far as expansion and penetration.

michael t

You will find the 185 to 200 gr seem to work best in the compacts I use Corbon DPX in all of my Officers , Defender, and New Agent pistols The DPX expand from short barrel .

KyJim

I would also recommend the 185 to 200 grain bullets from a short barrel to insure enough velocity to expand reliably. You'll have to test for reliability. I use Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P in my 4 inch Baer because they fed better than Gold Dots which I use in most of my 1911s.

RickB

Lighter bullets are designed to expand at the higher velocities achieved in longer barrels; that is, a 185 or 200 is going to be below its ideal expansion threshold, too, if shot in a short barrel. I think it's all the more important to use a 230 in short barrels, as at least you can count on good penetration.

bikerbill

Tried Corbon DPX in my Kimber UCII 3-incher, but it didn't like that load much, too many feed problems. However, the Kimber loves Golden Saber 185gr rounds. I've recently been experimenting with Hornady's new Critical Defense rd in .45 and the Kimber feeds them perfectly; they are also very accurate at SD distances. After a few more boxes, I'm going to convert both the Kimber and my nightstand gun, a Springer 4-incher, to the Hornady load.

Microgunner

We tested Black Talons into water when they came on the market years back and found they opened completely out of a 5" Colt Government but barely distorted at all from a 3.5" Colt Officer's ACP. Black Talons were designed to mushroom easily. Don't expect good expansion from the short barrels.

Microgunner

DonutGuy said:
So would a 200grainer work better than the 230?

If they're pushed to substantially faster velocities, probably. Some 200 grainers are not pushed to higher velocities but rather designed for lighter recoil. These I'd say probably not.

N.H. Yankee

I know that someone marketed a 165 gr round for the 45acp, I thought it was Corbon but I am not sure it is still produced. Speed and light weight doesn't always equal expansion though. The design of the bullet is going to have much to do with expansion as well.

Jim Downey

Thanks, xsquidgator - as one of the guys behind that project, after looking at our data I now carry the Corbon 185 DPX in my 3.5" Para Carry-12. But everyone has to make their own decision and then confirm that the rounds will work in *your* gun.

Jim D.

BGutzman

I use Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo, seems to work well! Speer recommends them for use in barrels as short as 3 inches.

Rastus

I'm using Winchester white box JHP's in my Glock 36. Not state of the art and not even premium ammo but it's reliable in my pistol. Yea, I'm giving up some velocity but I can't sweat everything. I doubt those JHP's will expand but they should penetrate well with at least a chance of deformation or expansion. Also, I have a good supply of the stuff. What more can I reasonably expect from such a puny .45 anyway? If I want 5 inch barrel performance, nothing works better than a 5 inch barrel!

I might stuff some Winchester Ranger 230 grain JHP's in there if I can find a box. I personally like to stay with 230 grain ammo in my .45's, even the Glock 36. I have no rational reason for this preference, it just feels right to me.

P.S. I think it was Federal who had the 165 grain .45 ACP rounds in their Hydra-Shok line. That just sounds wrong to me so I never tried it.

Last edited:
You might also check out Federal 230-gr Tactical Bonded. Similar to HSTs and gives excellent results in short barrels, according to Federal. They are what I carry in My PT-145 Millennium Pro. Cor-Bon DPXs and Taurus Hex Bullet loads are also excellent.

44 AMP

Staff
Haven't tested modern hollowpoints...

But a couple decades ago, tested some WWB ball from a 5" and 3.5" 1911s. They ran a bit ...slow. Chronograph gave 820fps from the 5" and only 730fps from the short barrel.

Your results might be different, but I think they will be similar. JHP has a minimum speed needed to expand. GO below that, and they just don't.