.45 Gold Dots

FLM

Does anyone here load Speer 230 gr GDs? I'd like to get about 900 fps, preferably using Unique, but I'm open to other powder suggestions. The Speer manual isn't much help as it only shows a maximum load producing 806 fps with Unique.

DAVID NANCARROW

You're probably not going to get there with Unique, and its not the powder. Gold Dots are made out of almost pure lead and when you touch off a round, the bullet forms to the barrel like lead does, the disadvantage being the copper plating having a lot more friction than lead. Still and all, I do like the accuracy and terminal performance of the GD's a lot, and I get good expansion at 800 fs.

DixieBoy

I'm interested too...

I like the Gold Dot rounds too. If Unique isn't
the powder to go with for 900 fps with safe
pressure levels, what is?
Also,where do the experienced Unique users
think this powder is best utilized with
.45ACP rounds? - DixieBoy

coonan357

according to the map book you can push a gd up to 960fps by using7.4gr of unique but your pushing it , safely you can go to 7.1 @900fps Oal@1.275", I've loaded the speer 13th manual way and it is quite accurate and the recoil is quite stiff ,you can use 6.3 of hp-38 (max load) or win231 and get to the high 8's , I don't think the target is going to notice the difference.between 800fps or 900 fps.

Jager1

I use Power Pistol behind 230 gr Gold Dots to achieve higher velocities.

If you look at the Speer#13 manual, only Blue Dot is listed as achieving a higher velocity at (893 fps) at max load.

7.4 grains of Power Pistol yielded 881 fps (max load).

6.3 grains of Power Pistol yielded 759 fps (min load).

Definitely a powder to start low with, IMHO.

High flash but a fairly clean burn.

FLM

Thanks for the help. I think I might try some of the Power Pistol. What about seating depth? The Speer manual recommends 1.200, but my Speer 200 gr GDs are seated at 1.215. Anyone know what the Speer 230 GD oal is?

Bogie

I _DO NOT_ like the Midway Loadmap book for the .45... Look at the cartridge OALs they give - Dunno where they got their test barrel, but those OALs aren't even near what I saw in two "normal" 1911A1 barrels...

With fast handgun powders, when you stick the bullet deeper in the case, you get higher pressures. Maybe those loads will work with the bullets way out, but I wouldn't bet my pinky (or my eyes) on it...

My advice - buy the Speer manual.

coonan357

Oal =1.275 bogie, haven't had any problems of over pressure signs in my LDA, and no feeding problem either 1.275 is the max oal you can go.

Jager1

FLM,

1.275" with Gold Dot rounds might prove to be a bit excessive and would generally advise against it. I'm not even sure if they would function in some firearms. You could experiment with longer/shorter COL, but I am quite content to stay within a few thousandths of the published data in the interests of common sense. My targets tell me that the combination is not a bad one.

The Speer #13 lists 1.200" as the COL for the 185, 200 and 230 grain Gold Dots. (I need to get some 200 grain Gold Dots, soon).

I load my 230 grain gold Dots at 1.210" and they work fine. I wouldn't think that your 1.215" would be excessive.

Of course, there are a lot of variables that can affect performance and your results will likely vary from mine.

If you don't have the Speer#13 manual, you need to get it. It is one of the nicer reloading manuals around and I refer to it often.

I bought it exclusively because I was going to load Gold Dot bullets in 45 ACP. I bought the Nosler manual because I plan to load Nosler Partitions in my hunting rounds. If I am going to use a component, I try to get the manual or the published data for it, as much as possible.

1goodshot

The speer book shows 806fps from a 4.4" barrel, from a 5"er it would be a little more. I've shot them at 900 fps into wet phone books and they almost want to come apart, any faster and I think it would be to much. They work good at around 830-850 fps. Theres no need to +p the 45. I do load some hot 230gr ball ammo when I carry my 45 in bear country( we have small bears so I feel propery armed)

FLM

I'm attempting to duplicate the factory load which is listed at 890 fps. This is for practice purposes only as I plan to carry the factory load in my Lwt Commander. I've got Speer manuals 9-13. I notice that they've gotten a little more cautious in their recommendations over the years. I attribute this to our lawsuit-happy society. An OAL of 1.200-1.220 works best in my guns using a JHP. A 1.275 wouldn't come close to feeding. Thanks again for the input.