45 full size to 9 compact weight difference

ccSnoopycc

Hi all

I’ve been carrying a full size S&W MP 2.0 45 for my job for quite some time now. Absolutely love the thing but I’m getting tired of the size and weight. Is there a noticeable difference in weight if I drop down to a 9mm compact double stack. Kinda looking at the PPQ 9 or similar. I’m having a hard time finding weight specs for fully loaded handguns.

Thanks

Forte S+W

It's east to figure out the weight of a fully loaded firearm by simply combining the unloaded weight with that of a full magazine (+1 if you carry that way) loaded with whatever grain weight of ammunition you prefer.

DT Guy

If I were carrying for work again and wanted to save weight, I'd carry a G48 with Shield Arms 16 round mags; good capacity, enough barrel for expansion and lighter weight. Still a shootable gun.

Larry

44 AMP

Staff
I’m having a hard time finding weight specs for fully loaded handguns.

so just take the weight of the empty gun, and add the weight of the ammo to that...

A couple click on the web shows me the 124gr 9mm Gold Dot weighs .450 oz and a 230gr .45acp weighs .737 oz. PER LOADED ROUND.

Don't know why the table I looked at went to three digits but they did.

Round off (and up a teeny bit) and you get 9mm Luger rounds weighing about half an oz and .45 rounds about 3/4 an oz. which should be close enough, I'd think.

T. O'Heir

27 ounces in .45 with a 4.6" barrel. 26.7 ounces for a 4.25" 9mm.
"...hard time finding weight specs for fully loaded handguns..." That's because they're not sold loaded and there are different bullet weights. Isn't likely you'd notice the difference much with a good holster and belt anyway.

insman1132

You are carrying a wonderful weapon. Put up with the weight. If you ever have to use your weapon for self protection, you will appreciate that you kept it.

Good luck.

Kevin Rohrer

I had to lookup what that pistol looked like. As it is made of plastastic, the weight can't be that much, but the bulk can be more than someone should endure.

Good caliber, wrong gun; get yourself a 1911 and continue to march.

ccSnoopycc

Handgunhero is a pretty cool site. Neat idea really. I may just try and get a lighter holster for the 45. I see most compact 9s weight fully loaded what the M&P 45 weighs empty. They also come in about 3/4 inch shorter and less tall.

seanc

Glock 30 weighs only 2.1# fully loaded. An empty G30S weighs the same as an empty G19. G30's can take 13 round G21 mags too.

jmr40

I like the M&P 45 quite a bit. But this is the best advice for what you want to do.

Drop down to something like a SIG 365 and cut your weight about in half

A Glock 43 or 48 wouldn't be bad choices either, but the Sig 365 is a lot of gun in a small package. With the supplied 10 round magazines it is my preferred carry gun if IWB.

I have some 12 round extended magazines for it and use them when it is appropriate to carry OWB. The longer mags make it easier to shoot and it is still quite concealable. With the longer magazines I shoot it every bit as well as my Glock 19 and I'm not giving up much ammo capacity.

Shadow9mm

Ok here's some basic data as best I can tell

Loaded 230g 45acp, .756oz
Loaded 115g 9mm, .481oz

Full size M&P 2.0, 10+1 35.3oz

Shield 7+1 24.1oz, savings 11.2oz
p365 10+1 22.4oz , savings 12.9oz
p365xl 12+1 26.1oz , savings 9.2 oz
G19 15+1 31.5 , savings 3.8 oz
PPQ 9 15+1 31.2 , savings 4.1 oz

If your looking for on a duty type gun your not going to save much if anything. If your looking for concealed, the size will be be a lot more important that weight for concealing well.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

On a side note, if you are carrying 2 spare mags, this would be additional savings

45 acp, 2 loaded 10rnd mags, just ammo, 15.12oz

9mm, 2 loaded 10rnd mags , just ammo, 9.62oz, a savings of 5.5oz
9mm, 2 loaded 15rnd mags , just ammo, 14.43oz, a savings of just 0.69oz

Brit

The big reason I carry a Glock 19, is its shootability (If that's a word!) It feels perfect in my hand. My 43X is too thin does not feel good in my hand. I conceal the G19 really well. OTB in the Glock factory belt slide. Even the Glock factory mag pouch. Both I have had for years. When I shot IDPA, I used a straight up and down Kydex holster. The odd time I carried the same holster concealed.
My argument, if I had to defend my life, I would want the gun I shoot best. With 16 rounds up!