45 Colt

Bucksnort1

Reloaders,

A few days ago, I was plinking with my Uberti 45 Colt. Three cartridges did not to bang. After pulling the bullets on two of them, this is what I learned.

First, my problem may be a testament to not shooting another loaders reloads, maybe. I say maybe because I'm not sure I didn't load them. I have no records of the bullet weight and type so it's not likely I loaded them. I just can't imagine loading any cartridge with such a small amount of powder, the 1.1 grain.

Bullet weight and style is all lead, round nose at 250 grains with a slight hollow base.

I do not know what type of powder is in them but I will tell you it is a fine grain powder.

The first cartridge has 6.6 grains. The second cartridge has 1.1 grains. Initially, the powder looked like it was partially burned but after igniting a small amount as a test, this is not the case. Powder in both cases ignited.

The powder in one case is darker than the other.

I did a quick check on a couple of recipes for 250 grain lead bullets and found none as low as 6.6 grains and certainly none with 1.1 grains.

The primers had good looking depressions from the firing pin.

It is apparent the primers did not go bang.

So the lesson I may have learned, if these are not my loads, is not to trust other loader's loads, which is a rule about which I have known for a long time, as most of us do. I will pull bullets on the remaining cartridges.

My questions are. If the powder had ignited in the 1.1 grain cartridge, would I have had a squib load? I'm guessing, yes. Also, would the bullet have exited the barrel with the 6.6 grain cartridge? I'm guessing yes.

Any comments?

huntinaz

What do you mean you "don't know" if they are your reloads?? I can't imagine how you could not know. Where did you get the cartridges?

My guess is that the primers weren't seated all the way and didn't ignite.

1.1gr powder would likely be a squib.

Hunter Customs

There is some powders used in the 45 Colt loads that will be down in the 6.6 gr range, IMR700X is one of them.

If the rounds are not your handloads then I would not shoot them.

Pull the bullets, use the brass and bullets if they are in good condition to load your own ammo.

DaleA

That is unsettling to say the least. I sure wouldn't shoot them. A variation from 1.1 to 6.6 is ridiculous.

Just for fun I'd pull the bullets and weigh each charge to see what else might be lurking in those rounds.

Again, for sure I wouldn't try shooting them.

Bucksnort1

huntinaz,

I believe I explained I didn't have any records of the cartridge so the obvious explanation is, they are not my loads. I think what happened was, I saw the 50 round plastic box on a table at a gun show, which had a few rounds in it. I wanted the box more than the cartridges because I could buy it for a song. These rounds wound up in my stack of plinker 45 Colt cartridges. I will pull the remaining three or four bullets.

Bucksnort1

Huntinaz,

Do you shoot factory loads as well as your hand loads?

Will you help me identify the manufacturer of the primers in the loads I described above? Here is the description. They are silver, have no markings and when you look at them, they are slightly convex.