45 Colt Re-sizing dies

Bucksnort1

I have two re-sizing dies for Colt 45.

One is a Lee, the other is RCBS.

Lee description is, Lee, 45 Colt J8

RCBS description is, RCBS 45 Colt FL....7

The bullet seater and belling dies are RCBS. I don't know why I have or how I obtained the Lee die.

By inspecting the inside the Lee die, I see a shoulder or rim about 3/4 up the die.

The RCBS die does not have this.

is the RCBS a "full length" die? Are both full length dies. I've never heard the term, "full length" used with straight wall handgun cases.

What is the purpose of the shoulder in the Lee die? Are both dies the same and it's just two ways to make the same die?

Bucksnort1

Mehavey,

In the link you sent, is a cutaway of the die. The shoulder I mentioned is about half-way up the die.

I've been loading various straight wall handgun calibers for many years. I have never heard the term, "full length" associated with these cases.

Last edited:

USSR

Bucksnort1,

I've got a RCBS .45 Colt die set, and the sizing die says "RCBS .45 Colt FL". That's just the way they stamp 'em.

Don

Kevin Rohrer

All straight-wall pistol case-sizing dies are by necessity full-length. What is the problem?

Perhaps it is time to read a reloading manual like an older The ABCs of Reloading.

mehavey

By inspecting the inside the Lee die, I see a shoulder or rim about 3/4 up the die.
And . . . .,

1. You're sure this is a resizing -- not a seating -- die ?

. . . and if it is a a sizing die

2. You're sure that you're not looking at where the carbide ring was?

Lee-Carbide-Resizer.jpg

Bucksnort1

Mehavey, I am positive I am not looking at where the carbide ring is. It's farther up the die.

Kevin Roher,

There is no problem. I was confused because I had never heard the term, "full length" with straight wall cases.

All is well.

44 AMP

Staff

3/4 of the way up in the die body...this is beyond where the .45 colt case reaches, yes??? (measure from the die body bottom to the shoulder to get an idea)

And is the upper portion of the die smaller than the sizing portion?? Larger??

That shoulder could simply be the point where the two different diameter holes meet. And is a result of how the die body is cut during manufacture.

call Lee and ask them, they made it...