45 Colt-Lone Ranger Loads

Schlitz 45

Left the Ponderosa & payed a visit to my private silver mine, did some experimenting, & after a bit of work in the reloading room I have my first batch of Lone Ranger rounds. Mostly I wanted something to look especially good in my black leather gunbelt loops & these are going to be the ticket, also good for dispatching the stray werewolf.
I3dxsv6l.jpg

udSW2Dql.jpg

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

Years ago, one of the gun rags did an article about using silver for bullets. Too soft as I recall.
Regular shoe polish works on gun leather too. Doesn't just shine it up though. It make leather water proof as well. Has waxes in it.

Schlitz 45

From what I’ve read silver is just about as hard as copper or brass & when cast it shrinks more than lead so solid silver bullets would be undersized & inaccurate-50 solid silver 250gr bullets would be worth over $400 at today’s market price. That’s why the Lone Ranger used them, to serve as a reminder of how heavy a price firing a gun can be & to symbolize justice.
The Lone Ranger Creed:
tvVwrcil.jpg

Last edited:

Brutus

Ya don't need so many, as I recall the Lone Rangers gun never ran out of bullets. :D

Heck of a nice barbeque setup I'm envious.

Schlitz 45

Silver plating on copper
FIEU4Fol.jpg

The Lone Ranger didn't do a whole lot of shooting & the silver bullets were more of a business card than actual ammo as recall.

Marco Califo

Winchester made a Silvertip line of Hollowpoints with silver colored jackets, usually in nickle cases. I came across some in 115g 9mm in Winchester bullet boxes. I have factory Silvertip ammo 147g 9mm. Look closely at the photo and you will see the hollow on some of those bullets, but not others. I am thinking someone filled them with plumbers lead (used on copper pipes) or solder. All looks. Zero authenticity.

zxcvbob

@Marco: what photo? Looks to me like Schlitz took some 250 grain copper-plated bullets (Berry's?) and silver plated them. Then loaded into nickel-plated brass.

Schlitz 45

MC, not sure what your referring to, in the 1st photo all 50 loads in the case holder are silver plated Berry's flat point 250 gr bullets that started out as copper, maybe just the way the flat points reflect the light. I plated some Hornady XTP's but thought the FP's looked better for what I was going for & all are 100% authentic silver plated bullets :)

Marco Califo

Yes the 50 in the tray. The two front corners, and back row left six, and one in the center do not look flat/reflective. They look concave to me. With flash and without can make a difference in a photo.
I do have Berrys flat points. Never wanted them silver plated. It does remind me of the Rose Bowl parades many years ago, with horse riders on ornate saddles and "western" attire. Other than a parade, I can not think a practical use. I can't watch that now.

Schlitz 45

You’re correct, there’s nothing practical with the making of these, or the entire gun rig, other than to give me joy as I relive my childhood cap gun days & that’s what I wanted to share. Hi-Ho Silver away!

Brutus

The Ranger, Hop-along and Roy all had guns that never ran out of bullets,
Not so sure about Tonto though. :rolleyes:

rclark

Nice! I like it for its intended purpose :) .

I just finished building a PDP 11/70 1/3 replica (that's a 70's era computer). Practical? No. Interesting .. yes. These bullets are interesting as well.